Revell 1/48 SBD-5 Dauntless COMPLETED

I think it looks awesome! Nice, very clean build. I, like you, like to use my own imagination in painting. Nothing outrageous, just my own take. It is not like I have a museum of models depicting exact replicas. I have models to look at how well I built them, and the problems and problem solving to make them look good. Once again, excellent job!
Thank you very much.

I found that the black silk suture line is a little thick for the 1/48 scale. I may change it to black thread.
I agree, because on the Fokker Dr.1 the suture is too thick.
Do you think the wires on the Fokker would be a color to match the hull of the plane, or just a black or grey?

Your build is fantastic!

Do you think the wires on the Fokker would be a color to match the hull of the plane, or just a black or grey?

Your build is fantastic!
Thank you.
IMO the wires should be black or dark grey.

I picked up Accurate Miniatures SDB-5 Dauntless kit for $20 at Syrcon 35 Scale Model Show today. After having looked at the instruction guide, I’m excited to get started on it. Well… not right away but soon.

Your build is fantastic!
I'm going with black sewing cotton. Pantherman

I learned a trick with thread. To keep it from looking "fuzzy" you can run the thread over a block of wax. )I have a small block from my attempt at the 1/96 USS Constitution sailing ship.)
The waxed line I a little easier to work with too.

I found this online, the use is explained better.

https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/154169.aspx
Yeah, old ship modeler's technique. Micromark sells a wax block specifically for that, but I've used a piece of a candle for it.

Fine nylon thread, especially "invisible thread" is good for aerials in 1/48 and 1/72, too. You can run a black marker over the thread to color it, or a silver pen, too.

supposedly a trick when using nylon or stretched sprue to make it more taut is to light a match, blow it out, then run the hot end close to the "wire" and it will contract a bit

Latest posts

Back