Revell 1/48 SBD-5 Dauntless COMPLETED

Rookie? Huh :rolleyes: It’s weird because I can search for an hour when I first drop it and never find it. Then one day I can walk in the room and look down and it’s sitting right there. IDK.
Usually I find my missing parts within 15 minutes. 99% of the time, I see which direction it flew. Only 2 or 3 times I resorted to clearing my bench work space.

I am still missing the command tower of one of my battleship kits. I didn’t lose it, the damn cat must’ve found it on my bench thinking it’s a toy. Still looking after a month. Still can’t find it.

Classic Monogram kit! You could use PE dive flaps, but the kit flaps look fine drilled out. There's a meditative quality to drilling out those holes.
Are you keeping the operating features, like the dropping bomb, or "modeling" them over?

Classic Monogram kit! You could use PE dive flaps, but the kit flaps look fine drilled out. There's a meditative quality to drilling out those holes.
Are you keeping the operating features, like the dropping bomb, or "modeling" them over?
I believe the drop bomb is in the kit so I will be using it. I did not get the PE dive flaps so I will most likely drill out the kit flaps.

Watching this one closely, I'd like to do one myself. Yours is looking fantastic!

Now a 1/48 scale Enterprise.....

Ah, wait a minute-I think I was mistaken in my previous comment. This isn't the old original Monogram Dauntless, is it? That kit had a much simpler interior, the cowling was a single piece with the engine molded onto the firewall, it had a pilot and gunner figure, and it had a dropable bomb actuated with a lever installed in the fuselage. It hooked into the bomb through a hole in the bottom of the fuselage, and a trigger that protruded from the bottom of the fuselage, just aft of the dive brakes. Is this a kit Revell reboxed from another maker, like Hasegawa?

Ah, OK, it's the Accurate Miniatures kit. Yeah, not the same one I thought of at first glance. It's a great kit!
I still do like the old Monogram kit, though, a good nostalgia build.

Latest posts

Back