Revell 1/48 SBD-5 Dauntless COMPLETED

Usually I find my missing parts within 15 minutes. 99% of the time, I see which direction it flew. Only 2 or 3 times I resorted to clearing my bench work space.

I am still missing the command tower of one of my battleship kits. I didn’t lose it, the damn cat must’ve found it on my bench thinking it’s a toy. Still looking after a month. Still can’t find it.
I see which way mine fall, hit the wood floor and disappear. Then there are the ones that  ZING off to another diminsion.:D
Rarely do I ever find the part and sending Tamiya an email for a replacement.

Youf Dauntless is coming together so well, maybe I'll give it a try one day. Of course I doubt my build will be as good as yours.:)

Looks pretty good but…. the blue (lower half) looks too bright for the Dauntless in 1944.

The Dauntless are usually a combination of Intermediate Blue, Dark Sea Blue and/or RAF Pru Blue. Undersides are either Flat White or Flat Gull Grey depending on year. In your case, it should have been Intermediate blue (lower half) and Dark Sea Blue (top half) with Flat white undersides for 1944 Dauntless. Considering this is a Revell kit, never trust their color mixing formula.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good but…. the blue (lower half) looks too bright for the Dauntless in 1944.

The Dauntless are usually a combination of Intermediate Blue, Dark Sea Blue and/or RAF Pru Blue. Undersides are either Flat White or Flat Gull Grey depending on year. In your case, it should have been Intermediate blue (lower half) and Dark Sea Blue (top half) with Flat white undersides for 1944 Dauntless. Considering this is a Revell kit, never trust their color mixing formula.
Yeah. I know the intermediate blue is not the right color. It was all I had at the time. My goal is to have a good looking airplane and not be too concerned about authenticity.
The more I look at the colors the more I like it.

The top is USN Sea Blue and the underneath is Sky Grey. The mid section is the only different color than what was called for.

Yeah. I know the intermediate blue is not the right color. It was all I had at the time. My goal is to have a good looking airplane and not be too concerned about authenticity.
The more I look at the colors the more I like it.
Sometimes we want to build to replicate a kit to the real subject.
But for the most part it's just for fun and relaxing.
Especially when a tiny part zings out of the grasp of our tweezers into another deminsion. That's always a blast and relaxing. :rolleyes: (Said sarcastically lol:D)

I think I might take on the task of a Dauntless. Thanks for that nformation.

Turned out great!!! I'll have to give one a shot, hopefully it'll turn out half as good as what you did ;)

I am calling this one done. I really enjoyed this build and the Revell kit was not as bad as I expected.

View attachment 107773

View attachment 107774

View attachment 107775

View attachment 107776

View attachment 107777
I think it looks awesome! Nice, very clean build. I, like you, like to use my own imagination in painting. Nothing outrageous, just my own take. It is not like I have a museum of models depicting exact replicas. I have models to look at how well I built them, and the problems and problem solving to make them look good. Once again, excellent job!

Latest posts

Back