Revell 1/48 F4U-4 Corsair

Bear43

Making a start on this while also working on the Hawk and waiting for the Sopwith Camel to get here...

I knew this was an older kit but I didn't realize it was 60 year old molds. Overall it has rather minor flash and decent details. It is the old kit that has folding wings and raising landing gear so it should be a nice nostalgic build.

20231028_095309.jpg
20231028_095338.jpg

Making a start on this while also working on the Hawk and waiting for the Sopwith Camel to get here...

I knew this was an older kit but I didn't realize it was 60 year old molds. Overall it has rather minor flash and decent details. It is the old kit that has folding wings and raising landing gear so it should be a nice nostalgic build.

View attachment 107989
View attachment 107990
Probably going to be a lot of fun. Sorry you kit isn't there, yet.
This kit is a year older than me. :oops: :p

View attachment 107989
View attachment 107990
It’s the same age as me!! HA
My first attempt at the Corsair was the Tamiya 1/48. It ended up in the trash bin.

Last edited:
Could be. Try a Tamiya model after this one. Even the lower end ones go together well without frustration and I’ve not run across warping issues in any of their kits. Their instructions are pretty thorough as well. Older Revell/monogram kits can be a crap shoot sometimes. I was lucky mine went together well, just the moving parts frustrated me. The Revell P-61 kit I tried ended up in the trash so I rolled craps on that one.

Could be. Try a Tamiya model after this one. Even the lower end ones go together well without frustration and I’ve not run across warping issues in any of their kits. Their instructions are pretty thorough as well. Older Revell/monogram kits can be a crap shoot sometimes. I was lucky mine went together well, just the moving parts frustrated me. The Revell P-61 kit I tried ended up in the trash so I rolled craps on that one.
Hi Jim,
90% of my models are Tamiya, and the best one, as far as fitting, was the P 38. What a gem that was. So well engineered that it was like a snap-tight model.
I find that Revell/Monogram aren't horrible, but not great either. Like you said, with that brand it is a roll of the dice.
However, there is always Wingnut Wings. I'll get a bank loan for that brand. :D lol

A lot of Revell aircraft kits now are re-pops from the original Monogram molds. No surprise there are fit issues. My son got me the Revell P-61 Black Widow kit for Christmas last year. Pure garbage. The figures looked waaay too skinny, certain parts didn’t look sharp or fit right, etc…
Certainly didn’t come together like the original Monogram kit I built as a kid in the 70s. I loved that kit.

A lot of Revell aircraft kits now are re-pops from the original Monogram molds. No surprise there are fit issues. My son got me the Revell P-61 Black Widow kit for Christmas last year. Pure garbage. The figures looked waaay too skinny, certain parts didn’t look sharp or fit right, etc…
Certainly didn’t come together like the original Monogram kit I built as a kid in the 70s. I loved that kit.
I have a Hobby Boss P-61 and a Tamiya F4U in my stash. Both 1/48

Hobby Boss are good kits. Italeri… I’d stay away from. I did an F-16 kit and the kit’s belly tank was waaay to big for 1/72 scale. Fujimi is so so.

Latest posts

Back