AH-60L DAP Blackhawk

LAME UPDATE ALERT

Been in the heart of my work week so, this is update is pretty lame.

I've manage to cut the holes out for the boxes that go under the seats, and build the boxes. And..., that's about it. In fact that's not even finished because I need to sand it down flush with the floor and fill any gaps that might show up after the glue is set.

I leave the styrene just above the surface so when i flood it with thin cement and sand it down it will fill those gaps from my poor cutting job.
tip: Build the box in the hole, don't build a box and cut a hole to fit it.

IMG_20110429_231443.jpg

Here it is with the seat over it.

IMG_20110429_231505.jpg

And finally, you can see the back of the console has a fresh tab of styrene. The back end was too big so i chopped it off. I think it is still a little large but it's MUCH better.

IMG_20110429_234715.jpg

To help with a visual, the top of the box will be flush and painted flat black with the rest of the floor. Then the inside of the boxes will be detailed with some ribbing and painted a yellow ochre'ish color. So when the cockpit is complete, it will be visible with the color contrast. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. I also have to build the footrest box just in front of the hole.

PilotSeat.jpg

Thanks for looking and hopefully I'll have this cockpit ready for paint by the next update.
All the best!

Making headway! Adding the boxes is a nice touch...some great attention to detail going on!! ;D

I knew last night would be a slow "day" at the office, so I built this. Tamiya 1/35 Jeep. Being a Tamiya kit, I think it took me all of two hours (and that's answering the phone and other work stuff I had to do) to complete it.

IMG_20110501_004613.jpg

I needed something to test my, soon to be arriving, Mr. Metal colors and Vallejo Color Primers. I've heard nothing but good from both of these products so i'm looking forward to using them.

We all hit Slow days.....or slow Weeks! It's all part of the hobby!

Your progress on this are steady! Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

Norm.

Ha, Cheers Norm.
What I meant was that I actually took that kit to my office (my job) and assembled it there. ;D

I just grabbed some sanding files, the sprue cutters, and some thin cement and built it there!
It was a slow night at my job :)

On another note: do you have experience with Vallejo primers? I'm just wondering (before they arrive), do they need thinning at all, and if so, thin with just tap water, and at what ratio?

Myke said:
Ha, Cheers Norm.
What I meant was that I actually took that kit to my office (my job) and assembled it there. ;D

I just grabbed some sanding files, the sprue cutters, and some thin cement and built it there!
It was a slow night at my job :)

On another note: do you have experience with Vallejo primers? I'm just wondering (before they arrive), do they need thinning at all, and if so, thin with just tap water, and at what ratio?

Sorry ! I have only a few Vallejo bottles, and used them right from the bottle... for the use I have for them...

I know the "AIR" variant is supposed to be good to go right off the bottle....!!! it seems ?

you might want to experiment a little !!! Mine are not the AIR variant, so I can't really Help you !

Maybe others....?

Model Air seems the new product of Vallejo, you can go right out of the bottle without the thinner or retarder, its more of a life color than the Vallejo model paints as what in their website blog tutorials.

I have used Vallejo primer straight from the bottle with no problems at all.

but if you wanted to thin it at all, I'd recommend their own thinner as it works great.

;D

Cheers Norm, Eastrock, and Ken.
I better pick up some Vallejo thinners just in case then. Looking forward to using these.

I've always been a Tamiya and Testors MM users, along with some Alclad. I'm really looking forward to the Mr. Metal's arriving. Apparently you can brush them on, and the buff them, and they look like they are sprayed on.

I’m convinced that there is a primer conspiracy against me. Either that, or the mailman really doesn’t like me. I’ve been waiting for ages for this stuff! So I push on with building.

ROTOR Time!!!!

Jumping in now on the rotor assembly and the blades.

IMG_20110506_152825.jpg

Every part of this has horrible mold lines to remove, and on the blades, the cleanup job is compounded by thick mold lines AND huge sprue attachment points. A good bit of care is needed on all these parts to preserve the detail.

IMG_20110506_214541.jpg

Most of the parts are cleaned up now. This thing is going to be MASSIVE!!! I can’t wait to start painting this beast!

IMG_20110506_224403.jpg

Time to move into the PhotoEtch

IMG_20110506_153022.jpg

These pieces bend very easy around the ends to make their shape.

IMG_20110506_232718.jpg

And here you just have to chop the ends off before attaching the PE part.

IMG_20110506_233414.jpg

I truly believe that a large part of super detailing, is really taking the time to clean up and shape parts properly. It takes some time, but I think it makes all the difference in the end product. PE parts are not always necessary when the plastic is shaped to have crisp edges and maintain their natural curvatures.

Latest posts

Back