1/35 MH-60L DAP - Formally 1/32 F-15E Strike Eagle

adampolo13

Hey all,

I've finally decided on what I'm going to build for the Rumors of War Group Build. The Tamiya 1/32 scale F-15E Strike Eagle. I picked up the kit at the last show I went to for all of $40 still sealed in plastic. I'm going to do this strait out of the box, no PE or resin on this build as I really want to just have fun with the kit, not get bogged down. I took it out of the stash tonight and went through the parts and instructions and fiddled with the white metal landing gear. Yup, kit comes with white metal to start. The other really cool part about this kit, it comes with two pilot figures and you have the option of displaying them "in flight" with hands on the controls or the famous "salute" before take off. Not sure which one I'm going to go with but I'll be fun none the less.

IMG_1194_zps3b105486.jpg

Now here's the bad news. I'm not going to get to start for at least 3 weeks. Armorcon is coming up the 27th & 28th and I really want to finish my Humvee for that. So, keep the popcorn out of the microwave and the beverages in the fridge. I do look forward to joining y'all real soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

d6479a12-aac0-499b-b25b-c029ee515718_zps977afef4.jpg

Hey guys, The F-15E has been grounded and replaced by the 1/35 MH-60L DAP, Academy calls it the AH-60L DAP.
This was orginally going to be a strait OOB build to practice color modulation and weathering. Back story to this, I had the pleasure of sitting with Ken Abrams at the Armorcon show a few weeks ago and learned a tremendous amount about painting and weathering.

IMG_20130921_160557_584_zps79874d10.jpg

Well, upon opening the box and starting construction I quickly realized how difficult the build was going to be. There is a HUGE seamline on EVERY part. There are also ejector pin marks on 95% of the pieces. The kicker was that the two halves of the body do not line up right and there will be a ton of sanding involved. So, since I was going to be in this for a TON of work anyway, I oreder the Big Ed set for the UH-60L and the interior set for the MH-60 pavehawk. I also ordered a set of correction decals from Cobra company.

Well, after 6 hours, 21 pieces of photoetch, and one blade painted, stripped and repainted, this is where I'm at now. Main rotor head is compete, painted and a little bit weathered. The blades have been painted and gloss coated. I put a panel line wash in the rotor blades and then covered the outter edges with a flat coat. I will add decals to the blades and then finsih those up. Sorry for the bad quality of the picture it was with my cell late at night. For my next update I'll take some better pictures of the rotor head and blades.

MH-60L1_zps90e13a57.jpg

Thanks for checking this out.

Oh yeah, this thing is MASSIVE... Just an F.Y.I.

Man thats a pretty sweet looking heli. I see what your saying, thats a pretty big seam down the center. You have your work cut out for you but Ive seen your builds Im sure you will do it justice.

Thanks dude! I've been having some fun with it.

I got a bit more work done tonight although it doesn't look like it. I did a bunch of work on adding the tie downs for the cargo area, PE work on one of the gun mounts, glued up the aux fuel tanks and lots of sanding and dry fitting...

Sorry I don't have more "in-progress" pictures. This thing is just too big for my booth.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back