Underlord's Falcon (WIP)

Thanks for the kind words guys! Peer encouragement really helps especially for such a solitary hobby!

My mistake is now famous! LOL Thanks Scott for including my fiberoptic cockpit picture in the latest SMA! I'll make it work even if I have to cut a hole right through the neck and have fiber showing as detail on the outside! umm... *ponder* that might not be that bad of an idea... The dremel will get a work out tonight!

BZZZZZZZ *sniff* is that melting plastic I smell!? YEAH!

Well, I was able to gouge out enough of the sidewalls of the neck to get the cockpit installed!
6327795970_2e5cf6ea13.jpg

but... I glued it without putting in some aluminum foil... so I'm going to have to BLACK the outside to prevent light leak... *sigh* So... I hit up quark for some body paint. Quark should be finished in two more sittings... detail on the arm bands and leather around the buttons, glue the flesh on then give him some washes.

As for the falcon (which is why we're here) ... I've got some nasty seams to fill but it's headed in the right direction!

Ahh the tedium... now it starts... Tonight had no progress worthy of pictures after my allotted two hours. What I learned was the Blue Moon sidewalls are shorter than the equipment wells butted up against each other. While test-fitting the two halves I learned that I was a good 1/8" away from closing the gap! Out came the dremel for more burning melting plastic! I put some 60 grit sandpaper on an old eraser and smoothed them out. After another test fit, I learned that there are notches and detail that need to be removed from the upper half.

Slow and steady wins the race huh? Glad I got old Quark out of the way :) Anyway, i've got one mandible ground down and fitting. I hit up the LHS for some styrene tubing to make up some of the details that I had to remove, and to stock up on my AK washes for later! :)

Coincidentally I bought my LHS owner's F-250 last week. He showed me the F-350 he was building to match his older truck and mentioned that if they ever came out with the kit of the one I picked up that he'd build that. I told him to go ahead and order me one too if that happens. :) Gotta love buying a super-detail oriented german armor building LHS owner's vehicle... 2006 with only 31k miles on it and not a scratch! :)

LIGHT TEST! Woohoo!
6342525990_e0536407b3.jpg

6342527496_4d418c4eac.jpg

Wow... not sure blinking those lights is going to be worth it this time. *shrug* Plenty of time to decide if that's going to happen. So, I Aves'ed up the seams left on the neck and I still had a few minutes left so I started using up the extra ethernet connection wire left over from the light test.
6341882389_48f9c1aca7.jpg

Lots more detailing to do after I re-reference the pictures. I'll take some liberty for sure, as I'm sure I've already done. Lots of greeble & piping work to do! :) Glad I've got that cockpit out of the way. I also noticed that the panther decks are WAY too high. They're supposed to only stick out a little. If you're using the blue moon kit, don't forget to sand them down so that the base of the part starts about the same place as the angled edges start.

Got to a little piping and greebling on the back deck tonight. Not much, but here's an image
6356501877_ba637decd3.jpg

Gee... compared to others, I'm crawlin' along! Oh well, we've got 'till February, right? ... Right!? RIGHT?? LOL!

Grendels said:
Looking good!!

Compared to me you are moving at light speed!

Well... I didn't have to conceive of, film, edit, and publish videos teaching noobs how to solder, identify LEDs, wire 555 and 4060 chips, review the kit, etc, all while your life continues outside of the hobby... You my dear sir, are at LUDICROUS speed!

LOL!!!

For the last two weeks I have done nothing but work. In a few days, I get six days off. I am so looking forward to that and sitting down with a model or two....

Great job you're doing with this. The cockpit looks superb. I say, use the allotted time wisely. No need to rush. Especially a model as important as the Falcon.

And really nice job with Quark. :)

@Igard & Mersajohn, THANKS GUYS!
@ozzy thank you sir. Without your work as an inspiration we wouldn't have such cool cockpits!

I've been battling with the Blue Moon sidewalls. I've ground down the top and bottom recessed cups from the kit parts to make the top and bottom get close enough to touch the sidewalls... didn't expect that! Then I've been trying to position the sidewalls correctly with no real markers. I think I've got it though. Nothing worthy of pictures yet.

Came home today and my wife couldn't wait to give me an early Christmas present.. so now I have the awesome "Sculpting a Galaxy" hard cover book! Oh boy! OH BOY! Now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make the February deadline! LOL

Got to do a little work this weekend. The sidewall is all on, but there are some big gaps I'll have to fill with sheet styrene and aves...
6534234329_1775a66151.jpg

And, as you can see in the background, I'm working on the internal wiring harness and LEDs. Since this is a closed up model, I'm leaving a lot of exposed wire for now. I've got some insulating goop that paints on made for desecrate component work inside guitars that I'll use once the harness is done.
6534248069_33a62d78f2.jpg

Next session will be spend finishing up the wiring and installing sheet styrene, perhaps starting the aves fill ins.

Back