Underlord's Falcon (WIP)

Underlord

I pronounce them Dee-kal and Tam-eye-ah.
Ok, I've been hoping to build this one for about a year, and I hope my skills are up to the task. I'm sure I'll learn as much from others during this group build as I learn from my own mistakes. LOL!

I'm starting with the MPC Return of the Jedi kit, adding:

Some 1/72 aircraft seats that look a little like the rear seats from the set.
Blue Moon sidewalls : http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/625_42/amts-millennium-falcon-upgrade-set-sidewalls.cfm
Millennia Models International PE Grille Detail Set : http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/623_42/amts-millennium-falcon-pe-grille-detail-set.cfm
Trilliance's gun turret / gun wells incl. interior, quad turbo laser cannon, and possibly added to a diorama if I have time, the ground crew. : http://www.triliance.de/index2.htm
Outerspace Outfitter's Falcon Lighting Panels : http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Falcon-Lighting-Panels-for-the-Revell-kit-from-Outer-Space-Outfitters_p_681.html
And Modeler's Brand light tape when it comes in! :)

I've recorded some video, and this is the first time for me with the how-to, lighting, aftermarket resin parts etc. I hope I can keep up! Of course Youtube had a problem converting my video file, so that will have to wait. Until then, here are some shots I took.

Here's the rear seats I found.
6203727382_a8dff010f1.jpg

Marked up the bottom of the hull for drilling:
6203728444_d182de0146.jpg

Here's a closer look at my marking. I used a sharpie pen and it smudged a few times.
6203729404_9e520b517b.jpg

Now... off to debug my youtube woes.

fumblethumbs: Isn't that why we're here!? The seats I used were listed as AHM7169 GRU7A Ejection Seats for F-14A 1-72 Aires. Kinda pricey at just under $20 delivered, but the detail puts the rest of this model to shame. Too bad no one will see them through the cockpit plastic. I'm considering leaving the clear plastic out of the cockpit just like the filming miniature.

Looks awesome so far. This will be a great build. I'd clear parts off if I were you...don't wanna hide that detail.

Yep, those seats really look the part. I like the way you have the size and colour of your lights marked out. Great start on this one!

I've got a LOT of cleaning to do. I've got tons of flash on both the MF and aftermarket parts. Next steps will be grinding the back of the rear seats down into the curve we're used to seeing, replacing the boxed in base of them with a stem (brass rod hasn't come in yet). While I'm waiting for the rod, I'll be test-fitting the blue moon sidewalls. I'm planning on using a combination of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and Zap-A-Gap CA to install the sidewalls. Any thoughts?

I've got a bit of a furnace problem, so no more work for this weekend. We'll see what I can get done on Wednesday night.

CA and Aves should work just fine. CA to tack in place and AVES for the long haul.

Good idea...I think I'll do the same with Falcon Kits.

Ok, a little more work tonight... just HAD to ;)

Removed the heavy back and base of the rear seats. Still not accurate, but good enough for me.
6205433443_1c1008d229.jpg

and a quick tape-up to measure for the scratch forward console.
6205433105_2707542977.jpg

I'm going to be printing out the forward console based on the CGI references that Scott posted.

Aves will act as a glue if you give it enough curing time. I don't think the hold is as strong as epoxy however. If I had to judge, it is a bit weaker than CA.

You guys are totally stellar! Thanks for all the encouragement!

In other news... my Modeler's Brand light tape came in today!! :D

Minor update tonight. I had about 45 minutes, so I decided to round the sides of the front seats...
6213058808_53e91cc273.jpg

Add the missing window frames... (A bit of clean-up is needed after the glue dries)
6213069270_6d324b9d98.jpg

and add the internal railing.
6212544699_b83c2c4abf.jpg

I started scratching the dashboard, but since this is my first attempt at that sort of thing, I have to go learn to make odd-angle boxes first :)

:D. Yeah! For those side walls! Tac in place with CA. You could sprinkle some Baking Soda on it while it starts curing to Shock it! It forms a fast hard bond! Then I would push a bead of AVeS along the long seams to seal it tight!

Nice work on the cockpit! I might steal that from you! LOL.

CA! Damn... that probably would have been easier. I cut the strip and used Tamiya liquid cement lightly brushed on the side to get them to stick. I will take your advice on using Aves underneath to give it some support.

Last night I reviewed the references section here and realized there are paper model printouts for the whole cockpit including the dashboard. I'll be printing those on regular paper for a stencil to cut out styrene sheet, and on decal paper too. That should give the effect I'm looking for! Not sure if I'm going to use the Outterspace Outfitters inserts for the wall and door or the paper print out. We'll see which looks better when I get there.

February huh? The goal is completion not perfection... the goal is completion not perfection... the goal is completion not perfection...

Latest posts

Back