Space shuttle with 747 transport: Completed!

Re: Space shuttle with 747 transport

Considering the tricky areas you were masking. You had some nice results, all things considered.
I look forward to the next segment

looking good ! can't wait to see it all weathered and ready .
The way I remember the strength of the micro solutions is blue=cool...red=hot.

Looking good, John.
Your decal technique's about the same as mine.
I set mine on a small spongy mat rather than the edge of the bowl

RocketSilo: Thank you for that tip, makes it easier, and it makes sense with how they are labeled.

Quaralane: Thanks, I still "lost" a couple in the bowl when they slipped in, so maybe your method is better.

Great work! I have the same kit, it never got past the primer stage for many of the reasons that you've posted. That was about four years ago... ::) Perhaps I may take it to a new direction and combine the 747 with something else. At least the cockpit section has potential for a fun kit bash. ;D

Thanks Mike. The kit has been a booger for sure. But it is very near done and that is a good thing for me! Especially with the contest coming up in less than two weeks. I am trying to get this thing done by then.

At this link you might find a good use for that kit:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/aviation_week/on_space_and_technology/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3Aa68cb417-3364-4fbf-a9dd-4feda680ec9cPost%3Aff4fbc28-991d-4792-bcc0-e0a86b750073

And now for the next update:

Space Shuttle with 747 Part 11: Pen and ink

This one details the use of Micron pens for highlighting panel lines.

Looking good. That pen bit was a good way to handle those panel lines.

((I also fixed your article's URL so it works right))

Quaralane said:
Looking good. That pen bit was a good way to handle those panel lines.

((I also fixed your article's URL so it works right))

Duhhh I forgot to close the url bracket. Thanks. Yeah I think those pens were the correct way of handling those panel lines. No way I could paint that fine of a detail. I have done this with washes in the past, but the pens are much easier and faster too.

Looks like there is light at the end of he tunnel as you're almost done. Great tip (no pun intended) using the Micron pen for panel lines. I've only really used the one I have for the iddy-biddy windows that would be on a starship from Star Trek. BTW, thanks for the link, that's one strange looking combination!

Mike S.

Mike you are welcome, I found that while I was looking for reference photos of the 747.

Hey John,

Just getting caught-up, I had not watched your last few videos. Good tips. It's so close to done... :)

I pulled the tape off of the 747 a few days ago, she is all painted up and ready for decals. Now if work would lighten up a bit, I could get to her and finish up before the contest starts!!

Thank you for the comment JMac!

Next update!! In this one, I dirty up the Space Shuttle with oils. I am working hard to finish this one up before the contest starts.

Space Shuttle with 747 part 13: Dirty shuttle

It isn't cooperating. The decals on the 747 just disintegrated tonight while I was putting them on. Video on that later this week. I have to paint up the blue body stripes now. Just a pain, but not a major setback.

Looking at it now you would never think it caused you so much trouble. :)
Gonna be cool to see this one finished.

if you are wondering why the weathering probably streaks like that on the space shuttle, its probably beacuse as it enters the atmosphere it enteres not straight but flat as a disk, it falls into the atmosphere level, this is done to slow the shuttle down as it enters the atmosphere at a very rapid rate, otherwise the shuttle would probably be going too fast as it broke through the atmosphere. it probably looks like its been through a smoker beacuse of all the heat generated by the friction from the air. thats why the tiles at the bottom are so crutial beacuse they are highly heat resistant, and friction resistant. :)

Thanks Java!! It is so near done I can can't wait!!

Ace: I have actually played with the tiles that go on the space shuttle. They are very light and brittle This is why they have problems with them breaking off. they also insulate heat like you would not believe. I would love to use them in my house! It does enter the atmosphere kind of flat. And in one photo I did find streaking in a manner that made sense with the way she enters the atmosphere, with streaking coming up over the main wing. The problem is the 12 other photos didn't match up with this. They had streaks running up and down, along the main body of the shuttle. Even at the back near the engines where the wings should be in the way and no air should be burning past.

Grendels said:
Thanks Java!! It is so near done I can can't wait!!

Ace: I have actually played with the tiles that go on the space shuttle. They are very light and brittle This is why they have problems with them breaking off. they also insulate heat like you would not believe. I would love to use them in my house! It does enter the atmosphere kind of flat. And in one photo I did find streaking in a manner that made sense with the way she enters the atmosphere, with streaking coming up over the main wing. The problem is the 12 other photos didn't match up with this. They had streaks running up and down, along the main body of the shuttle. Even at the back near the engines where the wings should be in the way and no air should be burning past.

interesting.

Latest posts

Back