Space shuttle with 747 transport: Completed!

Re: Space shuttle with 747 transport

Quaralane: I think I am going with NASA livery. The decals that came with it are for that version, and so is most of the reference photos I found on the internets.

Scott: The camera I am using is a good one, a Sony Handycam 1080P camera model number HDR-CX150. The problem I am having with it is that the auto focus routine doesn't like the low light conditions where I do my filming, and it really doesn't like the silver color to the model. I have been using it for three or four months now, and I really haven't had any trouble with it until this model. Some of the reviews of it are spot on at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX150-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B0031RGL0C

I also have a logitech 1080P camcorder which I rarely use. I might have to pull it out and give it a try.

--nods--
Understandable. Makes me wish I could find the old 1/144 Revell kit, though. Would really like to do mine as the "Glide Test" version with Enterprise

Sorry Quaralane, I forgot to answer your question about the shuttle. I wanted to do the Enterprise, but there are no decals for that. Now I wouldn't let that stop me, not on this model with a white base to work with. I can print decals for this. After looking at my reference photos, I decided to go with one of the others. I want to paint her up as if she is back from a mission. All burnt up and weathered. That way there is a contrast between the 747, all shiny and clean, and the shuttle, all burnt up. I will make my mind up when I finally get to the decals.

Could do Discovery, make her a sort of tribute to the last flight

Great idea! The decal set has markings for Discovery, so I might just do that.

Grendels said:
Scott: The camera I am using is a good one, a Sony Handycam 1080P camera model number HDR-CX150. The problem I am having with it is that the auto focus routine doesn't like the low light conditions where I do my filming, and it really doesn't like the silver color to the model.

try a white sheet of paper behind the model for close-ups ..This does help alot with some cameras focus,
easy to test.Hopefully it will help.

Grendels said:
Great idea! The decal set has markings for Discovery, so I might just do that.
Glad I could help, Grendels.
Oh, trick will be to not weather the tail fairing as much. After all, it never went into orbit.

Rocketsilo: I will have to try that! Thanks

Quaralane: I have really good reference photos and I was thinking about exactly that last night. That the fairing would have a different look than the shuttle itself.

good info.. I'm having the same issues with my airfix seahawk , thankfully it's not as large..
It seems like the shuttle is originaly from a seperate kit and the slot in the bottom might have been for a display stand, just a guess on that.

I do the same thing by sealing the tape prior to painting the next color ,,except for one tip I learned..instead of using the underlying color to seal with ,,I use a dusting of matte clear..

matt clear isn't full of pigment, drys fast, and will not build up like paint so you are left with a very minimal paint ridge..and it's easy to see if you got everything covered.it's worked for me pretty well so far.

good luck with the progress, your vids are entertaining.!

--shakes head while watching--
I definitely feel your pain on this.
Having watched what you're going through, I may just junk the one I have and try to find the old Revell 1/144 version.

On the up-side, though. You're doing an excellent job with what you have.

you know there is one thing that always fixes my frustration when it comes to models, if the problem becomes impossible to fix, put it on a pedistol, take your favorite firearm, and have a field day! its incredible what a good Pellet gun or .22 rifle will do to a plastic model that isnt worth a crap. and man... if you want a larger caliber, just ramp it to a .30-06 or .308 or just get a 20 or 12 gaige with bird shot, that would be amusing... and if that does not please, can anyone say, explosives.... ?

Quaralane: Thank you, it has broadened my skills quite a bit. That was the purpose of these models, to learn and try new things.

Ace: LOL, when I was younger, I played around quite a bit with Estes rockets, and more than one of my models got the rocket treatment. Looking at what some of those sell for on Ebay, it makes me sad that I did that.

Grendels - I just watched the latest video, and my hat is off to you...I would have file 13'd that kit about three days ago. Good job on sticking with it and working through the difficulties.

JMac

where can I find the old school Dymo tape ? I haven't found any places online.

@RocketSilo,
You might try a site that sells office supplies. Or, if possible, a local store.

@Grendels,
That's a lot of work, man. I don't envy you

that camera can somtimes really see things up close, not so much for mine XD

Latest posts

Back