Space shuttle with 747 transport: Completed!

Re: Space shuttle with 747 transport

Looks like an interesting set of problems.
I'll be watching this, though, because I think I have this kit in my stash somewhere

Love the videos ... I want to do one but only video camera I have is my $4000 Cannon ... I need to get a hard drive camera. So I can transfer data a little quicker.

yea i would not be happy about the lacking windows either.

Quaralane: The kit does have its flaws. I think the 747 is one of the worst models I have touched in a while. I think I have about 15 hours in seam filling on the fuselage alone. But on the happy side, I have learned a lot about seam filling, and I did experiment with it a bit. I figured out what I was doing wrong with just the squadrons white. I will show all in the next video.

ScarredKustoms: Youtube can be very fun. I am amazed at how many people both watch my videos and comment on them. Everyone is so positive too!! If you really want to get into it, just get a mid range web cam to start with. Not very expensive, and you can get a very long USB cable on Amazon for cheap. So for about $35 to $40 you can get a HD webcam and get started. I would love to see a video you post.

Ace: I have cut holes in other models for lighting, so making "windows" out of PVA (white glue) or Microscale's Krystal Klear is pretty easy. I will show how in a later video. It is just disappointing.

i use a standard camera for filming, but i dont get as many views for my videos, things are getting better, but not very many people watch my stuff.

yea the window thing is disappointing, but at least there is a solution, there usually always a solution.

Very rare Kit. I want one, but the old Revell Kit, its in 1/144 scale and as i know a little bigger than this one

I bought it at a big box hobby shop, it was sitting on the shelf. They actually had three of them.

I don't see this kit in ebay much, but I do see the larger Revell kit quite a bit.

Grendels- Man you're tearing through these models like crazy. I'm green with envy. :)

Looks like you got your work cut out...I did an Academy kit a while ago (my second Spad XIII build). My impression is thier older kits are pretty much as you're currently experiencing. However I have two of Academies newer releases and they look really wickedly good. Academy is Korean I think.

WOOT! GREEN LANTERN CORP! whoops... my inner nerd got a little out of check. ;D

Good work on a challenging build. You're inspiring me to work on a very old Airfix kit, but I've got to finish up some other started suff first. Keep the videos coming.

JMac

Well I am on the end of a 5 week vacation, so I should have been tearing them up. I will have the next video of this one up tomorrow. (Tuesday.)

I took a second look at the kit and it really feels like it is two kits cobbled together. The 747 is nothing like the space shuttle.

The comments on the YouTube video agree with you about quality of Academy kits. They are surprised that I am having difficulty with the kit. In truth, part of that is my skills at seam filling. But this kit sort of gave me a break through last week. My seam filling skills have definitely improved with this build. As a result, the Corsair is going together fast. It has to, I need them done by next weekend, or they will take a while to finish. I own a small business, and when I start working, my time and energy go there. I have too many employees that depend upon me to do otherwise. That doesn't mean that building will stop, it will just slow down.

I do want to see the Green Lantern Movie......

well, somtimes thats how the cookie crubmes i guess.

Grendels - Did you prime the shuttle first?

This model build is in part an experiment. When I was using Testor's paints. I did use a primer. (Testors very own primer.) My problems occurred when I would tape up a model for paint. When I would pull off the masking, the paint would pull up with the tape. Sometimes all the way down to the bare plastic or resin. Not good.

Once that occurred, I dropped the primer and tried again. Guess what happened? The same thing. The paint was pulling up with the mask. At this point, I wanted to see if it was the paint or something I was doing. Reading forums, and watching videos on YouTube gave me the idea to try Tamiya paints. So far, I have been happy with the results.

After reading this article:

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/painting/all-about-primers/

I don't know how often I will use a primer. Especially if I am working with plastic. Most model paints are made for plastic, so they adhere to the surface just fine.

Maybe using a light colored primer would have made the paint job on this one a bit easier, but again it is an experiment to see if my problems are something I am doing, or related to the paint itself.

OK. Just wondering - in the video it looked like you didn't...The main thing is to find out what works for your builds. Every other modeler will swear up and down that the technique they use is better but...

I primer everything (often while parts are still on the sprue- after a light dish soap wash). Maybe it slows me down...But it helps me to spot surface flaws (I’ve a terrible eye to spot problem areas unless the models all a solid colour – my colour vision is not so good), I'm told it helps with paint adhesion (I've got nothing to back that claim up). But the thing I like the most is that having a solid light grey or white surface economizes the amount of coloured paint that I have to mix-up and spray...

Really enjoying your videos. I think, this forum is totally cool for helping grow a modelers base skill because many members are posting how-tos and videos like yours. Keep moving it forward.
JMac

JMac: I do agree, that each modeler has their techniques and that they do think that they are the best. The question of primer has come up before. I have used it, and I have skipped it. I think it all depends upon how fast I want to get the model done and what kind of kit it is. I have only built one resin kit, but I will always prime a resin kit. Model paints were not designed for resin, so you are taking a risk if you don't prime.

As for cleaning the kit before paint. I have been using alcohol to clean plastic, and comet cleanser to clean resin. For small delicate resin parts, I will let them soak in dish soap for a while first. I should probaby comment on this in the next video.

I do put down a coat of silver paint before sanding just to make sure that the joint is smooth. I can see the contrast better with silver paint than I can with gray paint.

One of the reasons I don't use a primer is that the ones that I have used in the past leave the model with a powdery residue on the surface. (Automotive primer, or rustoleum primer.) I did buy a can of Tamiya primer last week, and will soon give it a try.

I haven't ventured into lacquer paints yet. When I do, I will have to give Mr. Surfacer a try as a primer.

Quaralane: Wait until the next video, I have nothing good to say about that 747. But I did stick with it, and it is almost ready for paint right now. I just need to clean up my scratches on the windshield, and tape her for paint. Thanks for the support!!

I'm using the Tamiya primer - it's pretty good, the fine leaves a nice smooth finish. I've read that it's the same as some other cheaper rattle can primer (I don't remember which one right now - maybe someone else will help my memory out).

Like you - I've yet to try Mr. Surfacer...but likely will in the near future.

For a simple project, that jet needs SERIOUS work.
Looking forward to the painting progress, though.

Question, you gonna do the jet in the classic American Airlines livery, or NASA livery?
Oh, and which shuttle will you make yours?

Latest posts

Back