"Snowy Wind" - Yukikaze: Tamiya's 1/350th Scale Japanese Navy Destroyer

Great update T , Man that etch is tiny :eek: ...Hats off to ya bro !!! Fandabydozey ;D

Chris.

Thanks for stopping by Chris! Yeah, those guns seem to be the worst of it....I say that now. 34 barrels to replace!! :eek: Having fun every step of the way!!! ;)

TRM said:
Thanks a bunch for the kind words FT and thanks for hanging in there on the build!! ;)

As for the deck, I felt the same way until saw this.....

s286589.jpg

Picture is for discussion purposes only

This was a picture from 1947, just before the Yukikaze was handed over to the Chinese. The plate tread was HUGE!! ;)

Well, there ya go! Shows how little I know!

This is a brilliant thread, T! Excellent review vid, and great build. I'm loving the step by step.

FT - LOL...just one odd looking piece of plating is all!! ;)

Thank you very much Igard! ;D

Hope to have a little more of an update soon...after all, it is the weekend!! ;D

Thank you DB (darph bobo)!! Most appreciated. Japanese warships do have some nice lines to them don't they!! ;)

Just started some painting on the upper hull and weather deck so I can keep moving forward with the superstructure. Hope to have an update soon!! ;D

WOW Chris!!! That is one incredible kit...would be sweet!!! maybe someday my friend!!!! ;)

TRM ,

Good stuff ! Lookin good ! That Big Tread plate is screamin for some weathering !! I can't wait to see you attack it !!

\m/

Hey Erik-dude!!

Lot of ins-n-outs on this one that are screaming the weathing fairy!!! ;D Just shot some paint on the main hull and weather decks last night and still plugging away with superstructure. I will try and post an update later tonight....

Peace!! ;)

Hello again!!!

Back at this one, I have made some more progress and thought I would share a bit more.

Let’s get to it….

When I left off the last time, I had the lower hull masked off and I was getting ready to begin painting the rest of the weather deck and upper hull.

Well, I began!!!

I picked this up from AK Interactive USA

yukupdate1-17-12028.jpg

AK’s German Panzer Grey Modulation Set!! I was interested in seeing how I could apply this to the Yukikaze. Only one way to find out!!

First I needed to mask off the weather deck section I had painted previously.

1-15-12KVYuk021.jpg

Starting out with some Dunkelgrau Shadow and Dark Base.

1-15-12KVYuk023.jpg

I lightened the entire upper hull with light base.

1-16-12yukupdate020.jpg

Next I added some High Light.

1-16-12yukupdate005.jpg

1-16-12yukupdate026.jpg

After sliding in some modulation…

1-16-12yukupdate062.jpg

1-16-12yukupdate063.jpg

Getting back to some of the construction, I snipped off some of the forward superstructure and started gluing.

1-16-12yukupdate017.jpg

In this section there is a clear piece that needs to be installed in the main bridge. I need to actually paint the deck section to match the red/brown coloring of the weather deck and then the greys.

yukupdate1-17-12011.jpg

Taking a closer look I have applied the kit supplied PE to the sides and front section of the bridge as well as the deck supports.

yukupdate1-17-12010.jpg

I added the rear funnel and a started cutting PE ladder sections

yukupdate1-17-12003.jpg

Finally, I added the remaining PE to the first triple gun mount.

1-16-12yukupdate010.jpg

With that, I have ONE gun complete!!! :-X I can see these might take a little time….

yukupdate1-17-12024.jpg

yukupdate1-17-12023.jpg

Back to gluing more deck features and prepping for more paint….oh yeah, working on all the guns too!!! ::)

As always, thanks for stopping in!!! ;)

Boy, you've really got the hull lookin' champion T! Details are coming along great too. Did you know there are some sickos that do that in 1/700? ;D

Wow T I'm surprised you can actualy see after Woking with pe that small :). Interesting use of the panzer great set too.

Great job all round.

Dealing with building all those tiny AA guns TRM, you've way more patience than I have. The build is progressing great, I like the colour modulation effect, I would have never thought of that, especially using the Panzer colour set.

Thanks FT!!! LOL...I have done a couple in 700....Oh My!!! That is a tough thing there!! ;D

Thanks Spud....thankfully I can still see!! ;D The set is great, especially for what it was intended for...seems it might work out well for ships as well!! ;)

Thanks JMac!! The guns will be my "tough" part to this I think. I think the biggest thing I learned was "one at a time". That and if I get frustrated...stop! ;) There is always other things to glue!! ;D ;D

Excellent paint work bro !! the Hull looks awesome dude ;D

Man ....how do ya do that tiny etch stuff ,the ribs on the dive brakes for the Duantless are tiny ....but Oh man !!! those guns :eek: ....Saweet ,will you be preshading them ? ;D

Chris.

LOL...Thanks Chris!! Yeah, the guns will make me squint for a while!! ;) Pre-shade huh? LOL!!! I know the needle on me AB don't go that tiny!! :eek: I have a couple tricks I think still!! ::)

Thanks Ken!! ;) LOL...More han one!! ;D ;D

Love all the tiny details T. Have you gone cross-eyed yet ?? ;D

Painting looks great too bro. I'm waiting to get my CM set and can't wait to use it along with the effects set.

Latest posts

Back