Scratch built gunboat Philadelphia 1/18.

I have been working on this gunboat model. I bought the plans from Model Expo. They are pretty good. The plans are printed for 1/24, so I have been multiplying by 1.33. I just wanted it a little bigger. The hull is now 3 feet long. I have done all outboard spiling and have just done a primer guide coat below the waterline. The figures are period correct (1776) and in scale and 3d printed.
The boat looks decent - nothing like some things I have seen on here. I have about 7,000 hours in it; about another 13,000 to go.
If there is any internet whatsoever, I will post updates. I have a 1” oak dowel that I was going to put on my machine lathe today - see if I cant screw that up.

698C0CFA-ED00-478F-85BC-95136D50D95B.jpeg

Welcome Aboard !

7000 hours ? :D

Is that the engine room access between the figures ?
Diesel electric or gas turbine ?

Mast.
I have to dig out the pile (literally) of engine parts in front of my lathe first. I’d show a picture of that, but I’m embarrassed.
I got distracted and am working on a walnut case for another diorama.
Of course I cut the rails down to 5/8” first and now they fall right down the well of my table saw blade as Im trying to slot them for the acrylic.

Lmao
I just looked at the plan and hit some buttons. Open fire pit in a wooden sailing gunboat in 1776… what could go wrong???
Oh yeah - muzzle loading cannons too, cant have enough black powder around that fire box.

I have been working on this gunboat model. I bought the plans from Model Expo. They are pretty good. The plans are printed for 1/24, so I have been multiplying by 1.33. I just wanted it a little bigger. The hull is now 3 feet long. I have done all outboard spiling and have just done a primer guide coat below the waterline. The figures are period correct (1776) and in scale and 3d printed.
The boat looks decent - nothing like some things I have seen on here. I have about 7,000 hours in it; about another 13,000 to go.
If there is any internet whatsoever, I will post updates. I have a 1” oak dowel that I was going to put on my machine lathe today - see if I cant screw that up.

View attachment 114015
Wow! And to think I do all I can to put together a model out of a box. The only thing I have ever scratch built is a pitot from a 1/72 F35.

This is the 9 pounder cannon truck frame and cannon (in progress). There are 2 of these. These two will be wood painted and weathered and maybe a little rust powder coming down from the swing axle. The cannon I am planning to just dull coat and weather because it is printing in black pla. Its pretty neat because it is bored all the way through, but you’ll never see that because these were muzzle loaders so I have to cement the rear on.
The forward cannon is a single 12 pounder but it slides (slid) forward and aft on a wooden track frame for recoil.

C8C1F057-FEAA-47B9-B397-71FF1A4F2C7E.jpeg

52FFA9C1-ED2B-4EF0-82DC-0FBC5DA5E1FE.jpeg

Getting there. I hope to finish all inboard spiles tomorrow cuz wife is taking mother-in-law to Kohls and there will be no bugging.

On another note..
I received my new laser cutter last night. I have a piece of oak that I have planed down to 1:8 (needs more off the bottom I know) for my tamiya 1/350 uss New Jersey. I left it in the window so now it is naturally UV grey. My aim is to cut the deck out of it but actually burn all the plank lines in with the laser. Im sure I’ll need a bunch of practice runs but that’s okay.
Once I get my file properly tuned, I’ll send anyone in this forum one for free, if anyone wants one.

7CC2D147-FE7F-487C-BF7C-3E0D42A89E38.jpeg

Latest posts

Back