1/350 USS Yorktown CV-10 1944

blakeh1

So the 1/700 kit I had done was always what I considered a trial run for the larger 1/350 kit.

I wanted to go all out with the larger and take advantage of larger details so I splurged on the Eduard Big Ed photoetch set for it.

I was not prepared for how large this kit actually was.

Just the front flight deck section alone is almost as long as the entire 1/700 kit

1712352723523.png

I am not fond of working with photo-etch as some of it is so delicate and small to work with, even at 1/350 scale.

So I figured I would try one of the "easier" sections. Tedious work laying down these "support beams" as there are 23 across and four total sections from front to back, meaning 92 of these small buggers to cut off without damaging/bending and then gluing them down.

I really need to learn how to do my own 3D printed source files for things like this to make life easier

After several hours over 3 nights this is where I am at.

I mean it does make a noticeable difference, but then again, it is all on the underside where most people might not even notice

1712353040304.png
1712353078807.png

1712353267114.png

and then there are these tiny tractors, which the instructions were quite vague about how to fold into shape and kind of skipped some important intermediate steps

the tires are concentric rings you fold together to get some depth. Haven't got the nerve to try adding the steering wheel yet

1712353445343.png

1712353508523.png

Those 1/350 scale Naval ships are asking for stupid money. I miss the days of my youth where Revell had 1/480 scale and 1/530 scale Navy ship kits. Even the Bismarck and Tirpitz were in those scales.

I fondly remember doing

Tirpitz
USS Lexington -post war
USS Independence
USS Enterprise
USS New Jersey - I’m well aware they’re out now
USS Missouri - did that one a few years back

I’ve done a couple of old Revell 1/720 scale battleships like the Pittsburgh, Massachusetts, North Carolina to name a few…

Those 1/350 scale Naval ships are asking for stupid money. I miss the days of my youth where Revell had 1/480 scale and 1/530 scale Navy ship kits. Even the Bismarck and Tirpitz were in those scales.

I fondly remember doing

Tirpitz
USS Lexington -post war
USS Independence
USS Enterprise
USS New Jersey - I’m well aware they’re out now
USS Missouri - did that one a few years back

I’ve done a couple of old Revell 1/720 scale battleships like the Pittsburgh, Massachusetts, North Carolina to name a few…
I have that old Linberg Tirpitz as well as the CV-% Yorktown in the 1/530 scale or close to it

The Yorktown was even motorized. Used to use them as toys when I was a kid

Back