My newest build! USS WASP CVS-18

kwc271

Hello everyone,
I just completed my latest build, the USS WASP CVS-18. This is the ship my dad served on in the mid to late 60’s. He was on board when they picked up Gemini 12. All I have left is painting and adding the planes and helicopters, oh and the Gemini capsule. This was a difficult kit to find as it hasn’t been made since the early 1980’s. Most of the decals were not useable, they would fall apart in the water. The deck number and the bridge numbers were all I could salvage. I used automotive pinstripe for the flight deck stripes. I hope y’all like it.45B59112-F7DE-4D5C-834F-BD6ED00129F8.jpegE8C1959C-7798-455D-9BF9-C92E02CC5BBF.jpeg

Nice! Yeah, that's a classic Revell kit. I built the Oriskany boxing. They boxed the sprues as the Hornet and the Lexington, too. You show that it still can be built into a nice-looking model.

yeah, here is the box lid. It came crushed like that too. I was surprised the contents weren’t broken. Thanks for the kind comments!FF1935E5-F621-4110-94A9-933143D481BC.jpeg

Nice! Yeah, that's a classic Revell kit. I built the Oriskany boxing. They boxed the sprues as the Hornet and the Lexington, too. You show that it still can be built into a nice-looking model.
Yeah, I’d like to get the Oriskany kit, but it is expensive, at least it is on ebay

Great work!

Cool to see a kit of it after the conversion to the angled flight deck

Oh no, it’s not too late, in fact this is just in time. All I’ve done so far is primer them.

Yeah, I’d like to get the Oriskany kit, but it is expensive, at least it is on ebay
If you just want a model of the Oriskany, then if you find another Wasp, Hornet, or Lexington, for a good price, buy it-same sprues. ;)
Then all you need to source is the markings.
If you collect kits-and I don't mean a stash :D - then yes, it'll take some looking and some waiting.

Hello everyone,
I just completed my latest build, the USS WASP CVS-18. This is the ship my dad served on in the mid to late 60’s. He was on board when they picked up Gemini 12. All I have left is painting and adding the planes and helicopters, oh and the Gemini capsule. This was a difficult kit to find as it hasn’t been made since the early 1980’s. Most of the decals were not useable, they would fall apart in the water. The deck number and the bridge numbers were all I could salvage. I used automotive pinstripe for the flight deck stripes. I hope y’all like it.View attachment 94555View attachment 94556

Hello everyone,
I just completed my latest build, the USS WASP CVS-18. This is the ship my dad served on in the mid to late 60’s. He was on board when they picked up Gemini 12. All I have left is painting and adding the planes and helicopters, oh and the Gemini capsule. This was a difficult kit to find as it hasn’t been made since the early 1980’s. Most of the decals were not useable, they would fall apart in the water. The deck number and the bridge numbers were all I could salvage. I used automotive pinstripe for the flight deck stripes. I hope y’all like it.View attachment 94555View attachment 94556

Very nice Job of building a Wasp model for your Dad!
I was assigned to helicopter squadron 11 from 1965 to 1966 as part of the Wasp air group. As a CPO, I was the senior helicopter crewman for the 18 Jan 1965 splash down of GT-7. astronauts Lovel & Borman. The following year I built a Revell Wasp CVS-18 model for my then one year old son. (Unfortunately, the model was lost during our family's military move.)
I went on to serve in eight aircraft carriers over a forty-year Navy career. Today at 88 years of age I still hope to locate a Revell Wasp Model and with luck engage a builder. Contact: CDR Tom Jacobs USN (ret) [email protected]

Latest posts

Back