My U-69

Thanx guys for all the encouragement!!!!
I needed it.
I have always had self confidence issues. Right now, I have some stuff going on with my life, and sometimes it seems kinda difficult to focus, and to scratch out enough time to work on my projects.
I am at the stage where I want to do some weathering/discoloration on the "Republic", and the "Klingon D7",
but I am unsure because I want to try a new method, and I don't want to ruin the paint work I have already done!
Actually I find this site incredibly motivational. Seeing all the models that are being built, and have been built.
Some of you really go the extra thousand miles, and right now, I have a tough time thinking a day ahead. :)
I will venture forth, and finish the kits I have going, and keep you all updated, and whatever happens to my kits...happens. If it's bad, I will just re-paint and try again! :D
Thank you for the compliments. I wish my photography skills could catch the subtleties.
I really like it here at SMA!
-Michael

That is the spirit Mike!!!
ModelMakerMike said:
I will venture forth, and finish the kits I have going, and keep you all updated, and whatever happens to my kits...happens. If it's bad, I will just re-paint and try again! :D

Keep this outlook and you can never go wrong. Always remember it's YOUR hobby...never a time limit, never too much or too little can be done.

Go for the weathering!!! Go for the weathering!!! A nice clear coat before your weathering process and most of what you do somethines can be reversed. Good luck buddy! ;D

TRM said:
That is the spirit Mike!!!
ModelMakerMike said:

Keep this outlook and you can never go wrong. Always remember it's YOUR hobby...never a time limit, never too much or too little can be done.

Go for the weathering!!! Go for the weathering!!! A nice clear coat before your weathering process and most of what you do somethines can be reversed. Good luck buddy! ;D

this....

Quote from TRM:
"Go for the weathering!!! Go for the weathering!!! A nice clear coat before your weathering process and most of what you do somethines can be reversed. Good luck buddy! ;D"

I have the two models painted with various Krylon, and similar spray paints. I am planning on using Abteilung oils for weathering and discoloring. What would you suggest to use as a coating, or is it even necessary? :)
Thanx

Hi Mike, I would throw down a clear coat before weathering. Any acryillic (flat or dull) or even a coat of Future. Either way this gives you a barrier from the solvents in the weathering and the final coat. Remember, less is more. Don't worry too much at first about any shine or sheen, the weathering will tone it down. If you do some weathering, you can clear coat after the weathering coat dries and apply another, build up in layers...this can give some nice depth to what you doing. Remember when using any oil based weathering to put dabs (see Ken's video) onto a small piece of cardboard....this will 'wick' out the linseed oil from the paint allowing the oils to dry a bit faster and also gives a flat appearance to the weathering rather than having a shine to it. Get a coat on...if your happy with it, leave it for a few days to dry then you can add more if you wish.

Good luck, Post some pics as you go...it would be great to see your progress! ;)

Thanx,
I will do that. Unfortunately, I don't have a compressor for my airbrush, and I have never used one before, so I have to use rattle cans. The weather just turned real rainy and humid YESTERDAY! :(
So, I will have to wait 'til I can spray. I will have to mask off the bussard collectors so they stay shiny. ;D

Sounds like you will have things well in hand....good call waiting on the humidity to pass. Now you will be able to take your time and mask what ever you need to. ;D

Thanks Alex!! Thanks for the link on stressed panels for aircraft also. These techniques do bring another level to any build. Thanks for posting you Bronco Sub as well!! It's giving me the motivation to get this back on the bench!!! ;)

Thanks Alex. When I originally posted the above comment I was especially thinking of the Zero. Now I have one so I will have to study pics to determine the right plan of action. TRMs method and the above article are great ideas.

@Chris - do you know where they keep the ROTFLAO smilely faces?? She's right there Sir, staring at me every day near the bench!! "help me....I need primer" she cries out to me!!! The Poor thing over looks the picture booth....seeing models come and go, being finished whilst she lay upon the shelf alone and forgotten! ;D Soon my friend....soon!! ;)

I vote this be finished :) Technically a submarine this old would fit well into the post apocalyptic GB, just gotta add some tiny little figures to the top and perhaps make a trailer rig so it looks like its been repurposed as a Land Yacht ;D Obviously it would just sit in the cradle so you could move it between the PA scene and the classic submarine two post display

Wow, talk about a resurrection!! LOL, I like the PA idea....maybe on the next one!

You both touched on something that I think has been shelved for just way too long and needs to get done. I will have to have this slated for shelf queens 2012 finish!

Once I dust it off, I will get some pics shot and try and revive it!

Thanks to both of you for the interst!! ...and the kick in the butt!! ;D

oh i remember seeing this when i first joined, Didn't realize that it was you T, Very cool build i must say, Oh and pull the finger out!! ;D

Wow an wow again love the work you've put into this amazing build buddy looking forward to seein more

Latest posts

Back