U gonna wanna build this U-Boat

Your sub looks astounding, Gary! I still have to paint mine. Spent a few days being very sick coming off of pain killers so I haven't done a whole lot. I have worked on my Corsair a bit more but that's it.
Thank you.
Sorry your not feeling well. I hope you have a quick recovery.

I did get some 3v LED's but the cables are a little bit too big as really tight for space. Pantherman
Find some AWG28 or AWG30 wire. Typical wiring is too thick. If you are planning to light a conning tower, you should have more than one LED. Going with a 12V LED is going to make it look like the ship is piloted by some blinding angel of light or something.

Find some AWG28 or AWG30 wire. Typical wiring is too thick. If you are planning to light a conning tower, you should have more than one LED. Going with a 12V LED is going to make it look like the ship is piloted by some blinding angel of light or something.
Thanks for the advice. I'm a real newbie with lighting and electrical stuff so need all the help I can get. Pantherman

Thanks for the advice. I'm a real newbie with lighting and electrical stuff so need all the help I can get. Pantherman
So I didn't have much luck with the fiber option with LED's but I found a very thin dimable light set on amazon. Test fitted it with the front hull on (hence the tape) and it goes together fairly well, nothing a little bit of filler won't sort.

Couple of areas I will have to have a rethink are the diving planes compartment and the open section under the engine's. Thought about painting this all out in black and covering the light strip which runs at the hull bottom to the middle and out of the rear.

I gave up lighting the coning tower as just too much hassle for a first attempt. 20240124_200337.jpg20240124_200346.jpg20240124_200355.jpg20240124_200427.jpg20240124_200549.jpg

Maybe my fellow modelers can come to the rescue with some advice? Pantherman

So I didn't have much luck with the fiber option with LED's but I found a very thin dimable light set on amazon. Test fitted it with the front hull on (hence the tape) and it goes together fairly well, nothing a little bit of filler won't sort.

Couple of areas I will have to have a rethink are the diving planes compartment and the open section under the engine's. Thought about painting this all out in black and covering the light strip which runs at the hull bottom to the middle and out of the rear.

I gave up lighting the coning tower as just too much hassle for a first attempt. View attachment 112877View attachment 112878View attachment 112879View attachment 112880View attachment 112881

I think it looks great! That is something that you need to be proud to display.

I gave up lighting the coning tower as just too much hassle for a first attempt. View attachment 112877View attachment 112878View attachment 112879View attachment 112880View attachment 112881

Advice? Brother you've hit this home run out of the park. I'll sign you up for the Astros!
This is ingenuity at its finest; well done!

My decals finally arrived from Germany. I actually forgot about them.
I guess now I'll need to build a Type XXIII Unter Wasser Boot. :rolleyes:

20240124_215554.jpg

I love this build. Taking on and conquering new challenges is part of the reason we do this. Great job on this.

I love this build. Taking on and conquering new challenges is part of the reason we do this. Great job on this.
It certainly has been a head scratcher and I haven't even begun to think about the exterior painting and finishing. Thanks for the kind comments, very much appreciated. PM

I might have a cunning plan to light up the coning tower....... watch this space. Pantherman

I might have a cunning plan to light up the coning tower....... watch this space. Pantherman
So I had to chop into the inner tube and remove a few pipes that wouldn't be seen to get the lighting in.

Put a small bulkhead in the diving planes area to seal off the light getting through. It's a bit messy so I'll clean that up.

Managed to get a fibre optic in the coning tower connected to the LED's at the rear. It's not great but it does give out a little light.

Now going to dry fit the front and if all goes well I can glue it all up tonight so tomorrow will be masking and priming hopefully. Pantherman
20240126_174638.jpg20240126_174650.jpg20240126_174658.jpg20240126_174708.jpg20240126_174717.jpg20240126_174724.jpg

So I had to chop into the inner tube and remove a few pipes that wouldn't be seen to get the lighting in.

Put a small bulkhead in the diving planes area to seal off the light getting through. It's a bit messy so I'll clean that up.

Managed to get a fibre optic in the coning tower connected to the LED's at the rear. It's not great but it does give out a little light.

Now going to dry fit the front and if all goes well I can glue it all up tonight so tomorrow will be masking and priming hopefully. Pantherman
View attachment 112929View attachment 112930View attachment 112931View attachment 112932View attachment 112933View attachment 112934
Great work

View attachment 112929View attachment 112930View attachment 112931View attachment 112932View attachment 112933View attachment 112934
That looks very awesome! You did it! But I knew you would.
This is fantastic!

Latest posts

Back