U gonna wanna build this U-Boat

I have almost finished the tube, just some engine pipework to fit. I have test fitted the interior tube into the rear hull and fitted the front hull, very happy with the fit.View attachment 112695View attachment 112696View attachment 112697View attachment 112698View attachment 112699

Now had to think about how on earth I'm going to light this up as never done much electronic stuff so massive learning curve.

I marked the position of the front hull onto the interior tube bulkheads so that anything I do can't be seen when assembled. I have now cut back small sections of the top bulkheads with a view to getting cables along the top of the area's, then bring them around the rear section and back under the batteries to the middle of the lower hull.

I have in my head an idea to drop all the cables down, through the stand provided and into a a long thin box which will contain all the connectors, batteries and a switch. Like I said, it's all in my head working perfectly but in reality it might not happen !!!!!

If it all goes wrong then I will still have the unlit sub as anything I do for the lighting will not be seen. Pantherman
Had to make the last pipe as the little devil disappeared on me. It probably isn't correct but most of it won't be seen. 20240119_224104.jpg20240119_224115.jpg20240119_224200.jpg20240119_224217.jpg20240119_224247.jpg

I had forgotten about lighting the coning tower so this is what I have done. Pantherman

You already have the lights ?
I am thinking 0.75mm fibre optic around the hull and in the stand box connect these to two 3mm LED's, then into a battery box with a switch???? Does that sound like it will work? Pantherman

I have almost finished the tube, just some engine pipework to fit. I have test fitted the interior tube into the rear hull and fitted the front hull, very happy with the fit.View attachment 112695View attachment 112696View attachment 112697View attachment 112698View attachment 112699

Now had to think about how on earth I'm going to light this up as never done much electronic stuff so massive learning curve.

I marked the position of the front hull onto the interior tube bulkheads so that anything I do can't be seen when assembled. I have now cut back small sections of the top bulkheads with a view to getting cables along the top of the area's, then bring them around the rear section and back under the batteries to the middle of the lower hull.

I have in my head an idea to drop all the cables down, through the stand provided and into a a long thin box which will contain all the connectors, batteries and a switch. Like I said, it's all in my head working perfectly but in reality it might not happen !!!!!

If it all goes wrong then I will still have the unlit sub as anything I do for the lighting will not be seen. Pantherman
This is going to be awesome!

I have faith in my fellow construction man .
This should be quite cool .
Thank you, I appreciate your faith in my abilities. Don't think I would be as confident about my progressing model building skills without all the help yourself and others in this forum have given me over the past 2 years. Pantherman

Wow! That sub is awesome looking. I feel like a little kid sometimes looking at the builds you all do. The weathering, panel accent lining, and dioramas are above my pay grade. How big is the finished sub? Looks huge in the pics.

Thank you, I appreciate your faith in my abilities. Don't think I would be as confident about my progressing model building skills without all the help yourself and others in this forum have given me over the past 2 years. Pantherman
I also have no doubt that you will get the lights the way you want them for your sub. I follow most builds on this forum, and they all impress me. Your skills, intelligence, patience, and tenacity will get it done and get it done the way you envision it. Of that I have no doubt.

Wow! That sub is awesome looking. I feel like a little kid sometimes looking at the builds you all do. The weathering, panel accent lining, and dioramas are above my pay grade. How big is the finished sub? Looks huge in the pics.
Thank you very much for the kind words.
This sub is about 20" in length and is my first sub I have ever built.

Thanks for your kind comments. The sub is 526mm long. Pantherman

This is kind of my plan. 7nr F O cables taped together? Pantherman

View attachment 112715
So the base is now sorted. I found an old plastic box at work and decided to recycle it.

It was bright red so some priming and top coats and it's looking better. I will give it a nice gloss coat when I have finished mucking about with the inside.

Plenty of room for the electronics. Pantherman 20240120_173909.jpg20240120_173927.jpg

So the base is now sorted. I found an old plastic box at work and decided to recycle it.

It was bright red so some priming and top coats and it's looking better. I will give it a nice gloss coat when I have finished mucking about with the inside.

Plenty of room for the electronics. Pantherman View attachment 112733View attachment 112734
Looks like that box is perfect. It was hanging out waiting for you to grab it. :D

Latest posts

Back