Titanic build

Pantherman

Hi, never done a ship build before but have always been fascinated by the titanic so has anyone got some advice about how to start. I would like something with a fair bit of detail and possibly lit as well.
Any recommendations on maker or add on kits would be welcome.
Pantherman

Mister " I only do WW2 German armor " must have hit his head ?

.... or are you talking about the Cap Arcona ? ,

images

images
Yep, hit my head!!! It's the one thing I've always wanted to build. However, you have now tweaked my interest in the nazi titanic.
Now that's 2 builds I have to add to Santa's list!!!
Pantherman

images
Where the heck do I get the Cap Arcona kit from!! Is there something close to it that I can adapt?
Urumomo, you are a little devil !!!!!!
Pantherman

Hi, never done a ship build before but have always been fascinated by the titanic so has anyone got some advice about how to start. I would like something with a fair bit of detail and possibly lit as well.
Pantherman
Have you started on your build yet?

I'll be keen for some expert advice on the 1/350 Academy Titanic myself, I bought the kit dirt cheap from a local auction, I also bought the wooden deck upgrade, 3D printed funnels and PE parts which actually costed more than the kit itself

I think the most popular Titanic kit is the 1/200 scale Trumpeter, it's big and full of details and there's a 2020 kit released with new parts and tooling.

I've been watching a ton of Youtube videos, some dating from two years ago to as far back as 10yrs for the kit that I have.

For most videos I watched, the difficulty with the kit that I own was adjusting the kit parts for the photo etch upgrades (replacing windows etc) and the rigging, lighting the kit looked easy enough as there is lots of space in the hull and each deck to map out, mount leds and run wires comfortably.

Most builders recommended to start on the hull first, attach all hull related parts, fill in any seam lines with your favorite putty, sand smooth rough areas and prime then paint and seal the entire hull in it's designated color. Some builders even went as far as drawing out a template for the entire hull plating then cutting and laying each piece separately into their allocated patterned positions... I will pass on that detail.

Secondly, remove and clean up all bulkhead parts from the sprue including replacing all the windows with your photo etched parts (if you have any).

It was also suggested to leave all the smaller parts attached to the sprues then prime and paint them that way just so you wont lose any parts.

Dry fit then sub assemble in sections so you're working on one area at a time, I think most Titanic kits are similarly designed that way so that you can sub assemble.

The Titanic will be my second real life model kit attempt as I usually only build models from the sci-fi genre.

Here's a list of the upgrade parts I got for my 1/350 Academy Minicraft Titanic:

1/350 Academy Minicraft Titanic (search ebay or other hobby sites etc)
1-350 Titanic 04.jpg

3D Prints
Funnels, water tight hatch, skylights, cranes, bells.
1-350 3D Prints.jpg

Photo-Etch
Hand rails, windows, doors, ladders, benches, seating, cranes rigging etc.
1-350 PE.jpg

Wood Decks (search ebay, amazon, hobby sites etc)
These come with a sticky film backing but it is highly recommended to use PVA glue.
1-350 Wooden Deck.jpg

Here's a link to a build log which is great resource (not mine) Build Log

Cheers.

Last edited:
Have you started on your build yet?

I'll be keen for some expert advice on the 1/350 Academy Titanic myself, I bought the kit dirt cheap from a local auction, I also bought the wooden deck upgrade, 3D printed funnels and PE parts which actually costed more than the kit itself

I think the most popular Titanic kit is the 1/200 scale Trumpeter, it's big and full of details and there's a 2020 kit released with new parts and tooling.

I've been watching a ton of Youtube videos, some dating from two years ago to as far back as 10yrs for the kit that I have.

For most videos I watched, the difficulty with the kit that I own was adjusting the kit parts for the photo etch upgrades (replacing windows etc) and the rigging, lighting the kit looked easy enough as there is lots of space in the hull and each deck to map out, mount leds and run wires comfortably.

Most builders recommended to start on the hull first, attach all hull related parts, fill in any seam lines with your favorite putty, sand smooth rough areas and prime then paint and seal the entire hull in it's designated color. Some builders even went as far as drawing out a template for the entire hull plating then cutting and laying each piece separately into their allocated patterned positions... I will pass on that detail.

Secondly, remove and clean up all bulkhead parts from the sprue including replacing all the windows with your photo etched parts (if you have any).

It was also suggested to leave all the smaller parts attached to the sprues then prime and paint them that way just so you wont lose any parts.

Dry fit then sub assemble in sections so you're working on one area at a time, I think most Titanic kits are similarly designed that way so that you can sub assemble.

The Titanic will be my second real life model kit attempt as I usually only build models from the sci-fi genre.

Here's a list of the upgrade parts I got for my 1/350 Academy Minicraft Titanic:

1/350 Academy Minicraft Titanic (search ebay or other hobby sites etc)
View attachment 96079

3D Prints
Funnels, water tight hatch, skylights, cranes, bells.
View attachment 96080

Photo-Etch
Hand rials, windows, doors, ladders, benches, seating, cranes rigging etc.
View attachment 96081

Wood Decks (search ebay, amazon, hobby sites etc)
These come with a sticky film backing but it is highly recommended to use PVA glue.
View attachment 96082

Here's a link to a build log which is great resource (not mine) Build Log

Cheers.
Wow, that's some kit and extras. Got to be 6 months work there for me. I will have a look at the cost but I think it would be a little bit of kit at a time for me. Like the idea of getting all the bit's together though. Do you think you will be building this any time soon?
Pantherman

Wow, that's some kit and extras. Got to be 6 months work there for me. I will have a look at the cost but I think it would be a little bit of kit at a time for me. Like the idea of getting all the bit's together though. Do you think you will be building this any time soon?
Pantherman
I'm confident you will find a kit that will suit your budget as there are smaller cheaper versions out there but not as highly detailed. The kit I have is sort of sized in between what's available. I decided to get a 1/350 sized kit as it's not too big that it will take up too much space and it Isn't too small that I'd have to squint at the details.

It actually took me a few months to gather all the extra pieces as most of the upgrades were shipped from the USA (I think one part from China).
Since I decided to go the upgrade path, as long as the parts are available I didn't mind how long it took to get them.

I'd say it will be a huge and time consuming challenge (for me) as it is my first ship build and I'm new to the subject of boat kits, plus the addition of all the replacement PE parts will add to the schedule, I think you'd nail it in half the time if just built out of box without the extra detail.

I'll more than likely start on this in the following year 2023 as soon as renovations in my house are complete as I have no model building area for the time being.

Tere.

Pantherman
I managed to pick this titanic gift set for less than half price recently so thought I'd give it a go for some fun and practice.
I have started with the 1/1200 tiny model as a weekend build while waiting for some extras for my tiger to arrive.
Very basic build, 30min is all it took so I have decided to spend a little time on the painting and decals. Will post the final build photos later.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20221230_144108.jpg
    20221230_144108.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221229_140707.jpg
    20221229_140707.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221229_140013.jpg
    20221229_140013.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221229_135922.jpg
    20221229_135922.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221230_144331.jpg
    20221230_144331.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 14
I managed to pick this titanic gift set for less than half price recently so thought I'd give it a go for some fun and practice.
I have started with the 1/1200 tiny model as a weekend build while waiting for some extras for my tiger to arrive.
Very basic build, 30min is all it took so I have decided to spend a little time on the painting and decals. Will post the final build photos later.
Pantherman
All ready to start with the priming and painting. This took longer than the build time!!
Get the feeling it's going to be alot more work than I was expecting, especially at this scale.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20221231_141824.jpg
    20221231_141824.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221231_220049.jpg
    20221231_220049.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 13
All ready to start with the priming and painting. This took longer than the build time!!
Get the feeling it's going to be alot more work than I was expecting, especially at this scale.
Pantherman
Done a little bit of the painting now, have got a few more area's to touch in and weather.
Then finish the build, add decals and rigging.
Final coat of matt varnish and she's done.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230104_131721.jpg
    20230104_131721.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, I'm nearly finished and will post the final photos later this week.
Pantherman
The main build is now done, just got to sort the rear rigging and touch in some of the hull paintwork.
After that it's gloss coat and decals then matt coat and finished.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230108_084448.jpg
    20230108_084448.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230108_084427.jpg
    20230108_084427.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 17
The main build is now done, just got to sort the rear rigging and touch in some of the hull paintwork.
Pantherman
I saw the Titanic on the BBC News channel last night and I have to say that yours isn't very realistic, because, it is very flat looking, the stern is broken off, lots of bits laying around it, plates, boots, chairs etc and it is very rusty coloured. Oh, you have forgotten those deep Sea fish, with lights on stalks.

So the scores on the doors:- Must try harder. ❤️

Now the real bit, looks excellent mate, lots of skill gone in there. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Don't forget the naked Kate Winslet...... Ooooooo ER nudge nudge

I do think it could look better with PINK funnels.

Aye' John

I saw the Titanic on the BBC News channel last night and I have to say that yours isn't very realistic, because, it is very flat looking, the stern is broken off, lots of bits laying around it, plates, boots, chairs etc and it is very rusty coloured. Oh, you have forgotten those deep Sea fish, with lights on stalks.

So the scores on the doors:- Must try harder. ❤️

Now the real bit, looks excellent mate, lots of skill gone in there. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Don't forget the naked Kate Winslet...... Ooooooo ER nudge nudge

I do think it could look better with PINK funnels.

Aye' John
I could do Kate in the pink but you would need a better magnifier I'm afraid.

I think the 1/700 will be alot more detailed when I get around to building it, have to wait for my eye strain to get better!!

Must try harder......now that brings me back a few decades listening to my English teacher. I rely don't no what she were woried bout. I can speak proper English like whatt other people's doo an me speling is goood!

Pantherman

Pantherman
Well it's been a really long while to get this finished. To be honest I didn't really want to do the decals as the flags and gold running line on the hull looked a bit of a challenge.

Still not happy with the rigging, just can't seem to get the rear and side rigging tight.
Probably going to have a think about that and put it right eventually.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230226_191959.jpg
    20230226_191959.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230226_192030.jpg
    20230226_192030.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230226_192236.jpg
    20230226_192236.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230226_192255.jpg