My U-69

Thanks G! Seems with the interest in the past couple days I should get rolling real soon on this again!!

;)

Indeed! I saw it and just had to prod about it, me being a Submariner and all 8)

Good Man!! Takes a pair to spend some time under!! Bet it was a bit more modern than one of these tin cans!! LOL!!! If you don;t mind me asking, which one did you serve on? ;)

SSBN 738 USS Maryland. Ballistic Missile sub, so my experience was a luxury hotel compared to the S Boats and LA Class fast attacks

You should be proud and than you for your service btw!! That is on BAD A$$ boat there!! You must have made one by now? I know Dragon offers a version of here!! I would say a Luxury hotel explain it!!! :eek:

I've been looking for a suitable size, wouldn't mind making some Russian subs and the Ohio Class....they're typically all too small

I would agree....to a degree that 1/350 would be a little small in sub building. I would venture to guess there might be a suitable set of plans from her or her sisters and the construction should not be too bad!

I wonder if it'd be difficult to sculpt out of clay, plaster cast and resin a totally custom Ohio Class.....I know the layout and plans/dimensions like the back of my hand :)

Knowing the boat like you do is half the battle. A quick search I found a couple line drawings but nothing with draft drawings on it yet. This would give you the complete profile stem to stern. I think that is an awesome idea to cast your own. Make the 1st one and then cast. After that it's peripheral items. Let me know if your planning on attacking this!!! Sound like a fun project!!

I just may, considering I have the dimensions and a full size reference subject 5 miles away that I can walk in and on at anytime. I think this could really work out :D Plus I have nothing but time

LOL...having the reference and the ability to walk on is a great asset!! Take some "Walk-around" photos, at least on the exterior!! I have some ship-site stuff I have used for years kicking around. I will thumb through and see if there is any plans or line drawings for the Ohio Class! Worth a look anyway! ;)

Thats the only downside, no pictures allowed down on the waterfront. I can however get some pictures released from our public affairs department in the archives. They'll have all the exterior and interior shots I would ever need. Dont know if id want to do the interior other than a sweet Logisitics Escape Trunk.

I would think the outside is all you would need too,,,,unless you did something with the boat and something like the CON scaled up sitting with it? The ship ismore than enough. Check with the office and see if they would have draft line drawing??

Already got what I need, time to plan and then get a mini lathe with a set of calipers to turn the main hull.....the turtleback will be a spectacle to design

Can't wait to see this! I would figure carving,like you are thinking, Building POB (plank on Bulkhead construction) where you fare outthe bulkheads to match the profile and then cover with thin metal stock (soda cans in my case) or plastic sheet or finally the spray foam route. Isulationg spray foam built up around something like a paper towel roll and then carve and sand when cured...easy-peezy!!! ::) Either way you will have the prototype for the mounl in resin!! ;D I could see the "turtleback" section as a nice PE sheet! There are a few place that could etch one up for a resonable amount off a good drawing. How are the "bits" for tying her up deployed...hydraulic? I see where they are on the deck when in port but not underway. I also like the look up close with all the hull welds!!! Something you might want to consider adding before the cast too!! LOL...look at me ramble on!! ;D

Haha, well the capstan is hydraulic driven and sits just aft of the sonar dome, all the cleats that you would fasten a mooring line to are turned manually and fold into the deck topside in small pockets. If I wanted to make the kit big enough, Im sure I could work functioning hatches and access tot eh superstructure to show the towed array handling drums, flushing systems and the hull penetrations. This project has potential to be sweet

Amazing amount of items if you think about it! I would think the opening where the cleats go could be open in the mold and the cleats casted seperate. You coule leave some up and some down, all dow...whatever. Same with maybe the "forest caps" there. Cover plates for the silo tubes could be left open too as an area on interest. I was thinking about the propulsion too...pretty sure there are not any AM parts, let's say to 1/72, But there is a company that make propellors for all the other stuff....I will look for the name...you never know, maybe they can doctor one up?? If not a prototype and a quick resin cast would work nicely!! ;D

Again, it helps knowing the dimensions of the screw helps. 7 pitched blades, would prob need to be cast separately and mounted to the hub after. Functional towed arrays, removable sonar dome, I can even fab working fair water planes and exhaust plenum that blows diesel fumes from an old school mineral oil train pipe :) this will be my masterpiece of scratchbuilding

That it will be!!! LOL...got me wanting to build one!!! :eek: Think I need to finish a few things first? ;D ;D ;D

ummm...think that screw is classified btw!! LOL!!! Absolutely no information on that puppy. I squeaked out this one of an Ohio Class in dry dock, obviously a sneak attack photograph.

us_submarine.jpg

Wait a minute, there are some fellas at the door in black suites wanting to talk with me and I don;t think they are Jehovah's witnesses...... 8)

Lol, well the EXACT dimensions, pitch, gearing and sound technologies are classified. I know them, but I'm not dumb enough to post them online. Or make a technically perfect functional replica :) I won't have NCIS visiting any forum members ;)

The 7 blades thing is easy to find. Getting the actual lengths and such is really tough

Latest posts

Back