Messerschmitt Me 410B-1

Oh Baby! I am looking forward to how you do the topsides of this beast. What brush do you use? When you shoot Tamiya, do you find higher pressure works better or lower pressure?

i use the Aztik (Testors) ########## ...it's blue and has a blue compressor. It's an ok AB...I'm thinking about getting a real compressor for it so i can ADJUST the airflow better. i think the brush isn't working truely up to specs any more. On trying the paint mottling that you see on many german WWII aircraft....it's a pain with this AB. The video I saw on doing it basically said if you mess up...you can always go over it with another color and it should conceal your mistake. Well.... for this AB and Compressor you need to have the paint mixed EXECTLY correct and have the airflow just right or it spatters ever so slightly. just enough for me to notice it and want to almost just give up. But i typically use low pressure and the fine tan tip for it. I found that the general purpose black tip works best for the future coat. I let the kit sit mostly all of last week and it's sooooo... frustrating. i haven't even started the rest of the landing gear or weathering and other touch ups yet and i don't want to put it aside and forget about it. The last kit i put aside, was there for nearly 2 years and it came out eventually..though it's not one of my prouder builds. So later tonight i'll give it a go again and see what havok i can reak on my psyche. I'll throw up some pics later.
thanks guys.

Ha! Been there. It's tough when your fed up with a kit. It loses it's former glamor. I usually take a break from it. There is no rule in model building that I know of that says you can only work on 1 kit at a time. I tried to explain that to my wife.. :-X

I have a couple of Aztecs, I should contact Testor's I have heard they will go over them and repair if necessary for no charge. . .?
I got a Badger Anthem 155 for Christmas, still goofing around with it, but I like it a lot.
MVC-906S.jpg
I can even accidently get it right, or pretty close.
Stay with it, it looks great so far!

I had an Aztek years ago. I didn't like the nozzles. They were too hard for me to keep clean. It just wore out. They do have a lifetime replacement warrenty though. Sadly I didn't know that at the time and tried to fix it myself......didn't turn out so good..DOAH!

Well, after sitting and stairing at the plane ("...Set it down and step away slowly...") and running ideas through my head, I came up with a way to get the job done with what i got. And I'm satisfied with the results. Pics to follow.
I like the actual brush/gun of the aztek and the nozzles. When I look at most other airbrushs out there, i'm reminded of an M-16 when they take the brush down to clean. Though the M-16 is a WONDERFULL weapon, I like....love things AK-47 simple. Nearly every other brush is crazy with parts. But if it works for ya...go with it. The Aztek in my eyes is AK-47 simple. The nozzles break down into 3 parts for cleaning, and you only need a few q-tips (or cotton buds.....i love that name :) ) to clean the brush/gun itself. However, i think it may prove more helpful if i pick up an aircompressor with adjustable pressure settings and a water trap. I think I may be getting water through the nozzle and that's leading to some of my frustration with my current set up. Also if i could adjust the pressure without getting the pressure pulses from the compressor it might help.

Thanks for all your imput and suggestions.

Now to the kit.
Once a few spots are dry, it's time for the future and while that's happening, i get to do the landing gear yeah...almost done!

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

wait a moment, landing gear...paint the guns and other little details...decals...future again...weathering/panel lines...future for the 3rd time...flat coat and demasking. (face palm) Not almost done. But atleast i'm on the down slope...i hope. I suppose i should attach the props sometime eh?

That is it my friend, you have gotten the mottling down!
(Got the mottling down? Gotten the mott down?)
It looks fab!
I picked up my compressor at Meijers it is called a Tail Gate Tools mini.
It has a regulator and tank that holds 120PSI.
Cost $49 on sale and I think $69 when not.
I added a water trap in the line to my A/B.
I have an adapter to use the Aztec if I want to.

Latest posts

Back