PBY 5A Catalina 1/72

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to paint the "eggs" and cockpit canopy but I like your idea, might give that a go. Pantherman
That method works fine, but I would rather have a mask for my windows. Or hand paint them, but it takes a steady hand to cut masks out, and paint. I am loosing that attribute. I chalk it up to my meds. But it better than the alternative :)

It's not great, but it worked. Looks like I'll need a little touch-up in places.

In using the adhesive spray it does leave a tacky residue after peeling the foil off. I dipped a cotton bud with WD-40 swirled that around the glass to remove, then dabbed dry with a micro fiber rag then polished with the rag.

20240404_194618.jpg

20240404_194627.jpg

I decided to save my pennies and use auto wheel weights for the tricycle gear for this build.
The adhesive is  very strong (of course).
be sure to get it in position the first time. I missed my mark the first attempt and had a time getting it unstuck to reposition it.

20240407_000338.jpg

I have done a fraction more...... just got the decals and canopies to sort out. Think this will be a factory finish, no weathering.

I have somehow managed to push in one of the clear side windows.......I am going to try and retrieve it from the hole it came from if I can find the time and patience, or maybe just make another but my OCD just can't cope with the rattle every time I move it.

This was a lovely relaxing Easter 4 day build and I would certainly recommend the kit to anyone else, especially as its not too taxing and very little flash. Pantherman
View attachment 115770View attachment 115771View attachment 115772View attachment 115773
Decals done, only the canopies to finish painting and fit.

Final gloss coat and good to go. Should be done by next weekend. Ironically, when we were supposed to start !!!!! Pantherman 20240407_210328.jpg20240407_210341.jpg20240407_210415.jpg

Decals done, only the canopies to finish painting and fit.

Final gloss coat and good to go. Should be done by next weekend. Ironically, when we were supposed to start !!!!! Pantherman View attachment 115952View attachment 115953View attachment 115954
Have decided to continue with masking the main canopy and freehand the disc's on each end of the side canopies. I think another couple of coats and I'm done.

Next post should be the finished build... Pantherman

20240408_210330.jpg

I think by Tuesday I'll be able to get back to the build. I haven't worked on it at all this week, been really busy at work.

I did get a picture of the eclipse from the other day. It kind looks like the moon.
As you can see it was very cloudy because of the rainy weather that day.

20240408_135452.jpg

I still have to start on the kit. I haven't had much model time lately. Work is super busy and with Spring finally coming I have yard work to do. I live on 6 acres, so yard work is..... substantial....

I still have to start on the kit. I haven't had much model time lately. Work is super busy and with Spring finally coming I have yard work to do. I live on 6 acres, so yard work is..... substantial....
You know the rules, no pressure, no hassle, no worries. Just give it a go when you have the time. Pantherman

I hope you have a tractor or at least a zero turn mower. That's about a 2 — 3 day mowing job.

Latest posts

Back