PBY-5A Catalina “Black Cat” COMPLETED

Center section of wing completed. Propellers will go on last as they always seem to get in the way. Working on outside section of wings with pontoons.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 14
Ok so looking at the pics I have posted, it looks (and feels) like I am rushing this a bit. Not giving the time it deserves. This plane has a significant history and I need to give it the effort to do it right.
I am going to take a step back, take a breath, and go back over it.

Catalina incredible aircraft.

Land on sea or in the air could fly non stop for approx 30 hours.

Bismark the German Battleship was found by the Royal Navy then lost.
3 RAF Catlainas searched & Bismark was sighted. Then sank.

Major victor as the Bismark, May 1941, was sent into the Atlantic to destroy the
British convoy system causing havock.

Pride of Germany sank to the bottom. Well done Catalina (and Royal Navy).

MIDWAY.
A Midway Island based USA Catalina PBY discovered part of the Japanese Fleet on 3 June 1942 setting the course of the battle.

This allowed the USA Navy to meet the enemy on their terms. Which they did & the Japanese returned to port. Beaten & shown what the USA Navy was made of.

Both the above have great very readable books about both incidences.

Apologies for butting in. But believe that all models have a history which makes it superbly
interesting.

Just add that the Catalina is like no other aircraft. It is artistically a beautiful aircraft
in the air on the sea or on land.

Gee think I will have to build another. After all the above happened when I was a "nipper"
of 3 years.

Laurie

Last edited:
You can find the Monogram kit, but yeah, you need to be patient. I got 2 of them, at different times, but for around $30 for the kit and shipping. I was happy with that. My target price for Monogram's 1/48 multi-engined planes is $20 or less, and for their single-engined aircraft, $10 or less. Shows are good places to look, too, and if the dealer is amenable to haggling, so much the better!

As far as Monogram's different boxings of the PBY go, if you're interested in figures, the ProModeler boxing has some additional Navy aircrew figures, too.

This build is complete. I’m happy with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Superb work Gol. First class finish.

Can you suspend it as if flying. Just shows off all aspects of this beautiful looking aircraft.

Laurie

Superb work Gol. First class finish.

Can you suspend it as if flying. Just shows off all aspects of this beautiful looking aircraft.

Laurie
Thank you. I enjoy this build.
I hung it on the wall with my other builds for now. I will be suspending most of the planes at some point. Right now only the Sikorsky CH-53G is suspended.

Attachments

• IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back