P-61 Black Widow (Latrodectus mactans)

Sorry, I just found a pic to post not knowing it was an HB box top.

Yeah, it is a challenge.
Back in the day Revell was all I knew about and some Monogram.
So far I haven't run into any  real fitting issues, but I'm still in the beginning phases of the build.
I hope I can wing it through... no pun intended for the wing it part.

Haha! "figures looked like they went thru a hard famine." LOL
Maybe I could add a potbelly to the guy without a shirt. Or have him crawling on the tail like Spiderman. :p
The cowls are wonky. The one separate from the boom is fine, the molded in cowl to the boom looks too narrow and doesn’t look right.

The cowls are wonky. The one separate from the boom is fine, the molded in cowl to the boom looks too narrow and doesn’t look right.
I agree. When I reviewed the parts to the instructions I noticed how they appeared elongated and narrow.

But, remember the age of the kit.
I was 10 years old when this kit was released in 1974.
I guess that was the best Revell could do for the time.

Back to the bench.
Not too much to report other than I ran out of green paint half way through.That is a real bummer!

I got the radar dish and components installed and the top guns.The 2 halves weren't too much of an issue. I am having to do some heavy sanding and filling in some gaps. But that's expected of dealing with an older kit.

20240318_161027.jpg

20240318_161047.jpg

This is weird. But, I have wanted this kit for quite a while. And now I just can't seem to get into it. I would not loose any sleep if I were to stop today.
I might just box it up and save it for later.

This is weird. But, I have wanted this kit for quite a while. And now I just can't seem to get into it. I would not loose any sleep if I were to stop today.
I might just box it up and save it for later.
Sometimes better to walk away and start again if you're just building because it's there.
Pantherman

There are a few (so far) peices that will not fit properly leaving unfillable gaps such as the dry-fit of the canopy. I'm not skilled enough to close this gap with a bit of styrene.

Also mislabeled parts

Screenshot_20240320_112921_Gallery.jpg

20240320_001620.jpg

Screenshot_20240320_112554_Gallery.jpg

I ran into the same type of canopy issue on the Revell F4U-4 Corsair made on 1963 molds. That canopy fitment is so horrific I am not sure how I will deal with it which in turn makes a person want to put the kit up on the shelf of doom. Just step away for a while and later on you will come back to it and hammer it out.

I'm giving this kit a 2½ out of 5, ●●½○○○.

There are a few fitting issues and several gaps in the wing and boom and a few areas overall. I came across one mislabeled part to instructions.
I feel that the interior could have had more detail and the stick is too chunky. The seat belts are poorly done and the detail is barely visible

This 1974 mold does not have a lot of good, crisp detail, but that is fine for a leisure build.

The size is average and the idea of a maintenance crew is cool.

This is where I'm at, so far.

20240327_161818.jpg

20240327_161852.jpg

I'm finished on this kit for a while.
Since I wasn't feeling this build I started doing very sloppy work resulting in a lot of weathering mistakes to fix. I'm too embarrassed to post any photos of the progress. :p

Latest posts

Back