P-61 Black Widow (Latrodectus mactans)

GaryG64

I have wanted to build one of these beasts for a while now.
A local craft store, (Hobby Lobby) has a very small scale model area and this week all kits are 40% off.
I have heard of a few workable issues with this kit which should be fine.
I'm planning to build this as is without any additional PE or aftermarket parts.

There are a couple of versions I've seen online. Some of the aircraft are the signature black and others are kind of a greenish-brown/tan, so, I'm not too sure which one I'll do.

sddefault.jpg

I am looking forward to your build as I have the same kit from the same place in my stash as well.

Slow builds make this hobby more enjoyable to me.
I am about half finished with the cockpit, engineer, and rear seat and area. I'm not sure if the back area is the navigator's chair. I'm not too familiar with the P-61.
Why did I get it, then? Well, the palne looks cool. :p

I did a little research on the extinguisher colors. I chose to paint the fire extinguisher brass as many at that time were brass. Few were red, and because I just wanted to.

Am I being a bit too cantankerous? Lol
Maybe so. However, we all build what we like and how we want it to look.:)

20240307_125447.jpg

20240307_125502.jpg

20240307_125513.jpg

20240307_125555.jpg

Slowly plugging away.
I still have washes to add to the rest of the cockpit area and other areas as well as a few decals.
So far, this is a fun build!
This is so different than a Tamiya. Tamiya is smoothly engineered, very few or hidden ejection marks, I have never experienced any flash from Tamiya in my kits or fitting issues.
But, this Revell kit, i believe, was released in the 70s. There is some flash and ejection marks, and fitting issues.
It's a good change from perfect fitting kits. This kit has a few challenges that can help me in my continuation in learning to apply to other kits.
Well, I think that's enough chasing rabbits. lol :p
Here are a couple of progress pics.

20240309_173810.jpg

20240309_173818.jpg

20240309_174151.jpg

20240309_174100.jpg

Putting the 2 halves together is difficult with the way it's molded. A lot of  force with tape will be needed.
With that I'll be gluing inch-by-inch down the line.

I came in my model room around 12:30am. Time really got away from me as it is now 3:40am!:oops::rolleyes:

20240310_033210.jpg

20240310_033230.jpg

20240310_033256.jpg

20240310_033325.jpg

20240310_033840.jpg

I have wanted to build one of these beasts for a while now.
A local craft store, (Hobby Lobby) has a very small scale model area and this week all kits are 40% off.
I have heard of a few workable issues with this kit which should be fine.
I'm planning to build this as is without any additional PE or aftermarket parts.

There are a couple of versions I've seen online. Some of the aircraft are the signature black and others are kind of a greenish-brown/tan, so, I'm not too sure which one I'll do.

View attachment 114696
HobbyBoss kit?1/48 scale?

Yes, 1/48. Not HB, its a Revell.
The stamp on the stabilizer says 1974.
Funny… the image you provided is a Hobby Boss kit, not the Revell kit.

Revell…. That kit is a POS for a repop of the original white box Monogram kit. I have that kit and it’s pure garbage. Nothing fits, parts seem off, the figures looked like they went thru a hard famine. Certainly not like the original Monogram kit I did as a kid. At least the Monogram kit went together better than the repop Revell kit.

Those molds on the Revellogram are so old, There are better 1/48 Black Widow kits out there.

Funny… the image you provided is a Hobby Boss kit, not the Revell kit.

Revell…. That kit is a POS for a repop of the original white box Monogram kit. I have that kit and it’s pure garbage. Nothing fits, parts seem off, the figures looked like they went thru a hard famine. Certainly not like the original Monogram kit I did as a kid. At least the Monogram kit went figures looked like they went thru a hard fami better than the repop Revell kit.

Those molds on the Revellogram are so old, There are better 1/48 Black Widow kits out there.
Sorry, I just found a pic to post not knowing it was an HB box top.

Yeah, it is a challenge.
Back in the day Revell was all I knew about and some Monogram.
So far I haven't run into any  real fitting issues, but I'm still in the beginning phases of the build.
I hope I can wing it through... no pun intended for the wing it part.

Haha! "figures looked like they went thru a hard famine." LOL
Maybe I could add a potbelly to the guy without a shirt. Or have him crawling on the tail like Spiderman. :p

Slowly plugging away.
I still have washes to add to the rest of the cockpit area and other areas as well as a few decals.
So far, this is a fun build!
This is so different than a Tamiya. Tamiya is smoothly engineered, very few or hidden ejection marks, I have never experienced any flash from Tamiya in my kits or fitting issues.
But, this Revell kit, i believe, was released in the 70s. There is some flash and ejection marks, and fitting issues.
It's a good change from perfect fitting kits. This kit has a few challenges that can help me in my continuation in learning to apply to other kits.
Well, I think that's enough chasing rabbits. lol :p
Here are a couple of progress pics.

View attachment 114806

View attachment 114807

View attachment 114808

View attachment 114809
Great detail work Gary. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back