Spitfire 1/32

Ok, so tried the 3 options to paint the camouflage:
a) Hand paint: not very regular lines and blurry on the border
b) PlayDoh: works very well however difficult to do nice curves
c) Peel-and-stick masking sheets: easier option for me and I used it trying to follow (+/-) the pattern provided by Tamiya - see b
Do you have pics of your masking job? Did you hand cut all the curves? Nice work.

Hey Cal,

To do the masks, I started by scanning Tamiya drawings, then using a computer drawing the lines.
I then print those, assemble the pieces together, cut the pieces and ended up with those belowIMG_6221.jpgIMG_6219.jpgIMG_6220.jpg

Then, I used those pieces to draw on AK masking sheets the patterns, and cut by hand (easier than it looks) and put on the model... Takes some time to make adjustments, but results ok.

Marking and painting completed.
Next will be varnish, painting lights, antenna, small decals and a very light weathering (exhaust smoke, panel lines, etc.). Then a last layer of varnish.
Question: what do you recommend for the last coat of varnish: gloss, semi-gloss or matt?

painted - top.jpgpainted - below.jpg

Thanks, and yes, need to be accurate however the Tamiya kits assembled so well, that the main challenge is the painting, which went ok on this time, even the insignias.. My next leaning focus is on the weathering that I did not do on this one.

Latest posts

Back