Spitfire 1/32

Making some progress....and soon will need advices on how to paint camouflage: masking tape??

Fuselage & Engine - no paint.jpg

Thanks. Will try this way.. To achieve better results, which pressure, which needle and how far do you get the airbrush? I tried on a piece of paper but got a very wild line..

An easy way is to use some Play-Doh .
it's cheap and has low adhesion .
Roll it into snakes and lay it out to create the pattern you want .
You can stick additional tape or paper down to protect from overspray on surrounding areas as needed .

They make masking putties for this but they are far more expensive and have greater adhesion which can be an issue ,
I did this with Play-Doh :

20160417_164944.jpg20160413_115545.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo , it was the only one of the Play-Doh application .

The height of the putty also makes it easier to control the thickness of the paint at the edges since you can use it as a shield .

You can also get the peel-and-stick masking sheets pretty cheap , in the 8 X 11 range - with or without grid lines , if you need to make more precise patterns .
Or even cut shapes out of paper or cardboard and spray thru that as a templet .

I don't remember , but I may have wiped down the surface the Play-Doh was on with a damp towel , just to be sure there was no residue .
I definitely didn't have any paint adhesion issues .

Ok, so tried the 3 options to paint the camouflage:
a) Hand paint: not very regular lines and blurry on the border
b) PlayDoh: works very well however difficult to do nice curves
c) Peel-and-stick masking sheets: easier option for me and I used it trying to follow (+/-) the pattern provided by Tamiya - see belowCamo 2.jpg
Camo 1.jpg

Remaining to do: finish the paint job (tail, exhausts, ..), paint the emblems and letters, apply the small decals, attach remaining parts (wheels, antenna, lights) and start looking for diorama ideas.

Latest posts

Back