Interest in MFGB - Banners on page one

Will you participate in a MF Group Build?

• Yes!

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • No.

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Re: Interest in Millennium Falcon Group Build

LOL - of course! Duh.

You rock Norm.

So...first post.

I'm excited about this. REALLY excited.

This is my first real model. I did a bunch as a kid. Then in university I started buying star wars models and hastily put them together (mostly because I wanted something better looking than the toys...which they were)

But since stumbling upon the resin Illuminati board a couple of years ago, I've now seen what's possible.

I've completed the 1/144 falcon already (and am not at all happy with my results) and now have a fine molds falcon. I started it over the course of last spring, but had a baby this summer and set it aside. Upon hearing about this group, I'm totally jazzed again.

I have to say that, in all honesty, I wish I were doing the AMT falcon with the blue moon kit. After seeing what's possible with that, I actually like it better than the FM falcon (mind you, I think I prefer the ANH falcon anyway)

So here I am, about to continue with the FM falcon. My goal will be to make a falcon that's a bit of both designs and the full scale set. Not at all studio scale. This will be in flight mode and battery powered. I don't want it fixed to a base.

Aftermarket parts I have:
-madman lighting kit
-photoetch kit (I've already botched up the cockpit quite a bit. Will definitely need help figuring this out)
-clear resin engine nozzles
-jbot decals

notes:
-I'm still trying to find a wire wrap tool here in canada. Radio shack was bought out by circuit city and they don't carry them.
-The biggest challenges for me are lighting. I haven't a clue. I haven't even decided what I need to light.
-The paint job is also a big priority. That's really what the falcon is about.
-I'm crap with decals
-I REALLY wish someone would make an after market resin radar dish for this thing...)

Great to have you onboard. I'm sure once this gets started there will be a TON of help with every aspect of the build.

incidentally, here is a pic of my 1/144 falcon. In all honesty, I like the stand the best

And a couple pics of my 1/72 developments as well

[attachment deleted by admin]

Welcome, Astroboy.
I was terrified of lighting, myself. That's why once I got okay at it, I created a vid tutorial using a cylon raider. Simple 2 or 3 lights, a couple strands of leds and light baffles. The topic is here at the Herd, (celebrating it's 2nd Anniversary this week no less!) but the links seem all busted.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,499.0.html

So here (should be) the auto-play playlist.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0BACFAFCBBA2E790&feature=viewall

13 vids, just over an hour, but you don't have to sit thru the whole thing to get the idea. I remember some good close ups of soldering and a few blunders that show you how to recover from a screw up or two.

Once I start up on my Falcon next month, I'll be extrapolating all that simple stuff into some bigger, messier and very cool looking stuff. :)

And it sounds like Grendels is getting the mojo lighting on too, so there won't be any shortage of resources! ;D

Welcome to the herd astroboy! I think your falcon looks ace! cant wait to see what you do with her bigger brother, and dont get worried about lighting it up its actually a lot of fun and the guys here will definitley help you out!

We will be here to help with lighting. I am going to design a lighting plan from scratch. I have that on my schedule for next week, with a start on it today.

I am also going to be teaching my girlfriend how to light up a MF, she will be in on this group build. And she knows nothing of lighting, nor electronics. So you will get to see a newbie learn about lighting from the beginning.

I own a small private school and spend much time in the classroom. I am a teacher at heart. So my experience with explaining concepts should come through.

It should be fun!

The only problem I might have is that I do own a small business and at times I get VERY busy with work. So I might not get things posted as fast as some of you might like.

Grendels said:
We will be here to help with lighting. I am going to design a lighting plan from scratch. I have that on my schedule for next week, with a start on it today.

I am also going to be teaching my girlfriend how to light up a MF, she will be in on this group build. And she knows nothing of lighting, nor electronics. So you will get to see a newbie learn about lighting from the beginning.

I own a small private school and spend much time in the classroom. I am a teacher at heart. So my experience with explaining concepts should come through.

It should be fun!

The only problem I might have is that I do own a small business and at times I get VERY busy with work. So I might not get things posted as fast as some of you might like.

Calk and Slate standing by...^^

Ground control to Major Han
Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may Gods love be with you
DSC02294.jpg

Ground control to Major Han - LOL. Good one.

What is that box or panel next to your Paint Rack with the Aluminum Foil Duct Tape? On the left!
If you don't mind me asking?

Listening to David Bowie while modeling! Great idea!

Sorry ladies and gents,i haven't posted here for a while,been quit busy of late but i'll have more time soon. ::)

I'll join in with the group build ;D,it will be the mpc kit.
Here is my old one i built about 18 years ago, now after all these years it really is a piece of junk,parts have fallen off,been ripped off and basically gone missing,so i might take parts from this one and use it on the new one for the group build.

It has seen better days.

The new one will been the falcon from the empire strikes back,if you have the star wars archives book there is some excellent pictures of the second falcon in there so i will be using that book for reference.

schweinhund227 said:
What is that box or panel next to your Paint Rack with the Aluminum Foil Duct Tape? On the left!
If you don't mind me asking?

Listening to David Bowie while modeling! Great idea!

No prob Norm....It's my spray booth.DSC02074small.jpg
Allow me to create a little ambience for this GB!!David Bowie - Space Oddity
@ Java: That's funny Java....The falcon I built in 1992 is hanging from my nieces bedroom ceiling...Beat to smithereens! Glad you could make this GB!!

Only a few weeks left :))
Cant wait for October 1st!!!!

I know I maybe jumping ahead a little quick but while I'm doing this on my 'outrider' at the moment (over on sci fi) I thought I would do a little 'how to' with the Fine molds engine fan photoetch and resin grill set available over at http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/42/star-wars---kit-conversions.cfm
This should be the same principle with the amt/mpc/ertl falcon aswell (not so much sanding though due to mine being a cast of kit part a8 from the fm mf)
First off making a hole in kit part no.a8 (make sure to wear a mask if using resin parts!!)
IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg
Then sanding back as far as the inner circle.
IMG_0616.jpg
I then sawed off a couple of mm with my razor saw.
IMG_0618.jpg
I then made a recess in the part no.a8 with my minni drill to allow the fan to sit in flush.
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
All done!
IMG_0624.jpg
Sorry for all the pics! Hope this has helped.

Nicely Detailed, Merseajohn :eek: :eek:

Thanks guys! All makes sense now hey Norm! ;) Thanks mate.

merseajohn said:
Thanks guys! All makes sense now hey Norm! ;) Thanks mate.

Now it does..... but I had no idea, you were going to gut them out!!! Anyway! What was wrong with the kit's one ? That you had to change them...?

Take care!

Latest posts

Back