How much bench time do you have per week?

How much bench time do you have per week?

• 1-3 hours

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • 4-10 hours

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • 11-20 hours

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • 21-30 hours

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 30+ hours

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Hi Scott.
What can I say. I'm single and retired, so most of my time is mine to as will.
I spend a lot of bench time if not building, I'm planing and research. Then hurry up and wait for glue to dry. ;D

Jim

I'm right around the 10/12 hour mark on a GREAT week. Most of my time at the bench is Monday through Thursday after 7pm. Wife and daughter go to sleep and the bench is a great place to be.

I voted 4-10, but it would be averaged throughout the year... Some weeks I'm at it almost every day (winter months) and most weeks not at all...

I am lucky if I get 1-3 between work and taking care of the house, pets and my sick wife.

Me, it's in the 4-10 category.
Some weekends, I can get a lot of bench time if I'm not gaming with my son.
During the week, it's a grab time when I can, and when I feel up to it after work

No where's near enough time, between work, union duties and a new family, personal time is a precious commodity. Hopefully that will get sorted out soon enough on e we get into better living accommodations and the misses gets working again. But, not complaining, life is good, even if it is busy :)

I'm lucky to have a forgiving missus and have recently moved to a new job closer to home do I probably rack up 20 hours per week.

I do some builds and reviews for a magazine on top of my own project's so that still doesn't seem enough!

Sadly I've only been doing it after school on Fridays as my kids and wife have friends over they hang out with...between school and training for the new baseball season, free time is minimal...

I may spend 15 to 20 minutes during lunch at times cutting and sanding parts for example like tank road wheels, tracks, or cut large parts from the sprue. Friday nights I may spend an hour or two in the workshop either building or researching. Lately I have devoted Sunday afternoons as my modeling day. Last Sunday spent about 6 hours at the bench.

I'd probably get more build time if it wasn't for forums and YouTube but they also provide great motivation.
Sometimes it can be minutes a fortnight but thankfully I have a wife who does not mind the hobby and understands its my de stressing activity. She also spends one weekend a month doing her flax weaving so those weekends I tend to get more time, except in summer when I'm holding a stick beside a river or Ocean giving fish something to laugh at.

I guess the trick is to make any time you have quality time on the bench.

I can't really pick any of the answers, because it varies with the season. In the winter, I get in more time than in the summer. In the summer, I like to be outside in the evenings, while I spend that time at the bench, in the cold, dark time. But maybe a minimum of 4 hours a week, let's say.

For me being single now and having a job with lots of days off I am getting back at it. When I have all my other stuff done errands housework etc I will at least get a couple hours a day in.Some days I will spend the day at the bench.Mostly in the winter, no heat in the shop so summer is mostly spent woodworking.The other bonus of my job is I can can take my project with me and putter around between calls.

I'd say 21-30 hours, if I could stop being a lazy bum. Of course that's total possible hours I could be at the bench each week. I tend to burn the candle at both ends, though. :)

Latest posts

Back