Post your bench!

I really feel for you guys that got next to no space for your hobby...I might have to take a short vid of my hobby rooms.

Ya, plural...modeling is one hobby, fishing is the other and it's in a separate room.

Up until a few years ago, I had a full bedroom for my hobby stuff. Then we had to downsize and move.
Hobby Room-Then&Now-50pct.jpg
After about a year of working in that little corner of my office, I built Workshop 2.0 with storage, lighting, display shelves and sliding doors to cover up my mess when company comes.
2023-02-16 21.56.53-50-pct.jpg
2023-02-16 21.57.19-50-pct.jpg

I do miss having an entire closet for kit storage.
Img_1226.jpg
After selling off most of my collection for the move, what remains fits in the bottom left cabinet of the new setup.
2023-02-17 10.59.04-50pct.jpg
I'm still working on a permanent airbrush station, which will be incorporated into the workbenches in my garage. Here's what I had before:
DSC03377.JPG

Up until a few years ago, I had a full bedroom for my hobby stuff. Then we had to downsize and move.
View attachment 97322
After about a year of working in that little corner of my office, I built Workshop 2.0 with storage, lighting, display shelves and sliding doors to cover up my mess when company comes.
View attachment 97323
View attachment 97324

I do miss having an entire closet for kit storage.
View attachment 97325
After selling off most of my collection for the move, what remains fits in the bottom left cabinet of the new setup.
View attachment 97326
I'm still working on a permanent airbrush station, which will be incorporated into the workbenches in my garage. Here's what I had before:
View attachment 97327
Now that's impressive, great use of space and Pantherman tidy. I'm loving it

I'm just getting started with plastic models...my bench was originaly designed to build other kinds of things that go pew, pew but that is an overly expensive hobby! Wife told me to find a hobby hat isn't so expensive so I started model building...that's no going so well either, LOL!

373720833_10223573918041481_7682000404712385267_n.jpg

I'm just getting started with plastic models...my bench was originaly designed to build other kinds of things that go pew, pew but that is an overly expensive hobby! Wife told me to find a hobby hat isn't so expensive so I started model building...that's no going so well either, LOL!

View attachment 105549
Pew pews are great! I carry a steyr M-40 at work.

And you are correct, models can really get up there in price. :p But they are so much fun. I've been back for about a year. It is nice to immerse your mind into this hobby.
I look forward to following your builds.

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230812_041947_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_041947_Facebook.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm in the middle of a build so it's a little bit in disarray.
However it's never "Pantherman tidy" :D (just kidding, brother).
The bench is a 6'x2½'. I'm using about half.
It went from the one on the left to the way it is now, the one on the right.
I started out with a little spice rack and some Testors paints to three racks. I still have and use my Testors along with my Vallejo.
This is what it looks like now. I'm fairly happy with the layout... for now.

Attachments

• 20230809_000151.jpg
    20230809_000151.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230809_000240.jpg
    20230809_000240.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm still painting at the kitchen table at this point. I'll probably stay there through to next spring now, as we come to the end of summer and cooler weather is a month or two away. But the bigger challenge I have is sorting out my stashes, of kits and of figures. I have had it happen multiple times that I went looking for a kit and couldn't find it. For example, I got the Tamiya P-38 kit when it came it out a couple of years ago. But I can't find it now. It's in a storage container, I just don't know which one. And last night, I went looking for 2 other figures that are part of a trio with one I finished. They were in a box at the kitchen table the last time I saw them. But I moved things around, and now I can't find them. I have started organizing the figure stash, sorting kits and casting into clear plastic boxes with labels to identify the contents. But there's a lot remaining to clear up.

I'm still painting at the kitchen table at this point. I'll probably stay there through to next spring now, as we come to the end of summer and cooler weather is a month or two away. But the bigger challenge I have is sorting out my stashes, of kits and of figures. I have had it happen multiple times that I went looking for a kit and couldn't find it. For example, I got the Tamiya P-38 kit when it came it out a couple of years ago. But I can't find it now. It's in a storage container, I just don't know which one. And last night, I went looking for 2 other figures that are part of a trio with one I finished. They were in a box at the kitchen table the last time I saw them. But I moved things around, and now I can't find them. I have started organizing the figure stash, sorting kits and casting into clear plastic boxes with labels to identify the contents. But there's a lot remaining to clear up.
Nice and tidy, very rewarding. Photos when you're done I think please. Pantherman

A postscript....

I just found the figures I was looking for. They were in a set of drawers under my bench. I knew I'd find them, eventually, but it was a question of how much digging I would have to do first. They weren't exactly as I remembered them. They were laid out on a piece of bubble wrap, on one of those foam trays grocery stores use packing things for sale. But I thought I had laid that on a cardboard beverage pallet, or stuck them in a Sterlite shoe box. Instead, I had placed them in a shallow plastic box and stuck 'em in the drawer.

How did Gandalf describe innkeeper Barliman Butterbur's mind in "The Fellowship of the Ring"? "...like a lumber yard-thing wanted always buried"? Same thing here.

Update on my plans to build an airbrush station in my garage. There's a high-CFM, explosion-proof fan behind the filter that exhausts to the outside. The side panels are removable and whole thing folds up flat against the wall when not needed. Not that I've not needed it since it was built.
Since taking this picture, I've also relocated that air hose hanger and added a paint storage rack (old spice rack) above.
2023-07-01 14.47.22.jpg2023-07-01 14.48.53.jpg

Update on my plans to build an airbrush station in my garage. There's a high-CFM, explosion-proof fan behind the filter that exhausts to the outside. The side panels are removable and whole thing folds up flat against the wall when not needed. Not that I've not needed it since it was built.
Since taking this picture, I've also relocated that air hose hanger and added a paint storage rack (old spice rack) above.
View attachment 106005View attachment 106006
That looks great!

Latest posts

Back