Which Decal Solution Do You Like?

GaryG64

Since there are several decal solutions out on the market (and possibly on you bench). Which ones have you tried and which do you like the best?

I prefer Micro Sol too .
I have a bottle of the Mark Fit and Mark fit Strong on hand in case . Their chemistry is different from the Microscale product .
Haven't seen a difference in the results with the decals I've used the Tamiya on vs the Microscale thus far but maybe the Mark Fit will prove superior in the future on a particular decal .

I just started using markfit strong and I like it. I was using Micro sol and set but just decided to try the markfit. I have a backordered Markfit Superstrong I am anxious to try when it gets here hopefully near the end of march which probably means June or July.

Although I like the Micro Sol and Set, it does behave badly under Future finish...cloudy finish.
Yeah I had those mess up my clear coat before. I have been putting Markfit strong directly on the pledge and so far it hasn't bothered it a bit. I'm doubtful but hope the super strong will be the same but just melt the decals better.

I believe the cloudiness from the micro sol over future can simply be cleaned up by another coat of future if it doesn't clear up on it's own

I have had it happen to me, but it usually clears up on it's own once the decals, water, and micro have fully dried/evaporated.

To be fair though, I have even seen some temporary cloudiness with just water on it's own

Supposedly it can happen if the future has not fully cured before the decals was applied, although I often have applied decals within minutes of it drying to the touch.

I use Micro Sol, too. I have also had the clouding issue with Future-Future laid down as a gloss coat, decal applied, then the setting solution. But I have been able to apply another thin coat of Future over the clouded area, and that cleared it up for me. Sometimes, the clouding cleared up on its own, as the acrylic cured again.

I don't remember where I read this, but I recall that the active ingredient in Micro-Sol is acetic acid, and that the difference between Micro-Set and Micro-Sol is in the concentration of acetic acid in the solution, that Micro-Sol has a higher concentration. I did not read this at MicroScale's own website, because I looked now and haven't found that info. Maybe Momo will find it.

I also use Solvaset, whose active ingredients are methoxy-2-propanol and methoxy-1-propanol (it's right on the label). It's definitely hot, and I use it on thicker decals, and decals over compound contours. I'll also use the cutting and piercing technique, on particularly difficult decals.

Again, with Solvaset, sometimes the gloss layer of Future will cloud, but it will clear up again, as the setting solution dries and the acrylic cures again. A touchup with a little more Future also helps here, too.

I forgot to add that apparently old-timers used plain white vinegar-acetic acid-as a setting solution, back in the day, before things like Micro-Sol and Solvaset were generally available. I have not tried it myself, but if I'm right about Micro-Set/Micro-Sol, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

" I recall that the active ingredient in Micro-Sol is acetic acid "
I heard this years back but I poured it on baking soda and there was zero reaction . None .
The Mark Fit Strong contains a couple of alcohols and also propylene glycol monomethyl ether so it should be much more aggressive than Micro Sol .

Latest posts

Back