AH-60L DAP Blackhawk

THANKS EVERYBODY.... ;D You guys are awesome!!!!

@FRUIT: No problems whatsoever with the Vallejo putty. I love it and it's non-toxic and water based.

Getting close now. Thought I would take some more shots of the bird before and after decals.

So far I got the engine and hydraulics bay painted up (photos in the next post) and I've got about a 1/3 of the decals on.

Tomorrow morning I'll get a couple of good flat coats on, let those dry for about 8 hours, then add the weathering with some pastels. THANKFULLY there really isn't a lot of weathering on this choppah, all the photos i've seen of this that is painted black really only has some "fading" and I've hardly seen ANY chipping anywhere on any of the blackhawks.

IMG_20110629_172527.jpg

IMG_20110629_172539.jpg

IMG_20110629_184533.jpg

IMG_20110629_184548.jpg

IMG_20110629_172559.jpg

Back to the bench

This is gonna be a photo finish! Do whatever you have to do to make the deadline! ....sick day....

No worries Scott. I'll have this finished with seconds to spare.

Nearly complete

Fuel tanks ready to be installed

IMG_20110630_022638.jpg

Engine gets a touch up and wash then into the bay.

IMG_20110630_022539.jpg

Hellfires completed and ready for installation. I love the MV lenses. They make all the difference.

IMG_20110630_022510.jpg

Rear rotor shaft ready for wash and installation

IMG_20110630_022445.jpg

Blades decal'ed up

IMG_20110630_022315.jpg

Hydraulics bay ready for wash and touch up

IMG_20110630_002612.jpg

All the bays painted up their "Yellow Zinc Chromate" color.

IMG_20110629_232936.jpg

Man there were a lot of decals! 5 hours of them for the day.

MYKE,

Cuttin' it close .. but Oh So Bad AZZ !!! I'm right there with ya' Bro' I'm taking My entries right down to th wire too !!

Woo-Hoo .... what a ride !! Truly Bad Azz MYKE !!

Now, this is a helicopter.! I hope one day to build one with this level of detail. Thanks so much for sharing the progress. I have learned a few tips along the way.

11:57 pm ET and the submission email has just been sent.

I still have a few mins, maybe I can knock out a second entry?

WOW. Finally finished this beast, and yep, I was working on it all the way to the end!

FIRST: Thank you all for making this such a fun project. I'm usually a reader on forums and not much of a "poster," but I think from here on in I'm going to post my work and be a bit more open and share some of the things I've learned along the way. Everyone that has followed and watched this THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the compliments and encouragement. I'm not gonna lie, there were times when I was really having trouble getting motivated, and you guys pulled me through.

I don't know what possesed me to super detail my first chopper, try to complete it in 9 weeks (my mother in law was visiting for 3 weeks in May), and try out a load of new techniques and products along the way, but I got it finished. This thing is so awesome, I can't wait to hit the airshows later this year and see some of them. I'm dying to sit inside one now.

I still need to work on my photos (my phone takes better macro pictures than my camera), but without further ado..., here are the 5 photos submitted at 11:57pm ET.

Final_1.jpg

Final_2.jpg

Final_3.jpg

Final_4.jpg

Final_5.jpg

That's a fantastic build. And with proper back ground it will look like a real one.
Cheers

This is just awesome! I not only take my hat off to you but i also jump up and down on it. I look forward to following your future builds.

Well Done!

Absolutely a great job Myke! You nailed this one!!! BTW...I feel your pain buddy, my monster-in-law has been at the house for 3 weeks last Wednesday........Think I could borrow the Blackhawk for the weekend, I have some unfinished buisiness!!!! ;D

Congrats on the superb finish!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back