AH-60L DAP Blackhawk

Myke - Thanks! Actually, I guess my screen name is sort of a deviation of my screen name at papermodelers.com. I'm known as "The Orange" over there, hence the odd smiling orange. :)

The big words are my inadequate means to match your modeling caliber. As you can see, your skills are again, too much for single minded people like myself ::) (But truly, your work is the master of masters).

Oh! I forgot to mention I went through two tubs that night and it was bittersweet. I had a sickness in the gut, but enjoyed watching every post.

I'll have to try that brush version of Krazy glue! In fact, I've been looking over the glue section of the local hobby shop for a while now, but wasn't sure on the products. I've got a few plastic kits that I've decided to try, and I've been in need of some suitable glue. I must say, I did see the tube version of the Krazy glue and brush version, and cringed at the sight. (Again, horrible experience with the tube version years prior, probably due to my own failures). $2.99 is a really good price too! I'll have to look through other big named stores around the area though. I believe my hobby shop marks everything to an extreme degree. Last time I saw, the Krazy glue was $5.99 and brush $6.99! I love supporting the local hobby shop, but 6.99 will make my already dead wallet roll in its grave! :D

Thank you for making an amazing thread, and I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for updates! (Feels like a movie!)

If this is like a movie, then the ending should be REALLY climactic. Gonna be a photo finish on this build. haha

I'll have a bunch of updates after tonight.

Yep - they did play that in fact. Pretty good set list. Mostly the hits but some odd stuff in there too!
The venue is kinda cool. It's an amphitheather in the summer and in the winter they just close the outdoor walls and it's an indoor venue. LC I think it's called.

Hello Myke !!! and before others Jump at my NECK !!! :-[

I'm not Nit Picking.... Just pointing out something I saw and want to offer some help...
bear with me ! Your auxiliary bladder ! The Photo etched "cargo restrains"... are they FINISHED ?

Reason is ! not every body knows about those.... although many types and style exist in the service...
The Air force uses a few type and yours is depicting I have used the past !

I looked at the instructions you've posted and things looked alright for most of the steps I could see in the photos!!! But they failed to show the Ratchet "Handle" and Strap "pinch roll" or SPOOL like they call it ! even-though the Holes are there in the P.E. pieces... which led me to believe.... they would show you how to do it in the instructions!!!

I am convinced they failed to provide you with the remainder of the Cargo straps Making!
I included a picture of what I am talking about.... you can see the Pull Handle in the instructions
and the Spool at the bottom...
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/55-9/fig7-3.gif

The Hook and Ratchet mechanism are pointed the right way ! for this Air Force type Cargo Strap... 5000 pound rating... usually White in colour with a black dash line along the centre of it...

you could use a small rod, inserted at the top of the ratchet mechanism to simulate the Handle... I saw the release mechanism... a nice touch.... and the SPOOL isn't represented... and is an integral part of the Cargo Strap !

I am not pushing you to do that...! just saying ! these being rater long... the spool on yours should be almost full ! since your bladder isn't a big item...

Hey Norm:

I appreciate your eye for detail!!

There are no pieces or instruction for the handle that you speak of in the PE set. I'll be adding a piece of fine wire (through the holes you mentioned) to close things up, but that is as far as I am going. While I would love for it to be 100% accurate, there is just no way I could make that happen across the entire Chopper.
There are, and i'm sure, will be plenty more inaccuracies on this build, hahahaha.

So, out of curiosity, are the Army ones the same as the Air Force?

Thanks man, I appreciate you looking out.

Myke

MONDAY FUNDAY UPDAYTE

Last two straps added to the Fuel Bladder

IMG_20110620_105442.jpg

Pilot's door washed and dry brushed

IMG_20110620_132327.jpg

Painted, finished, and installed the control boxes for the Chain Gun that is going to go on the starboard side interior pylon.

IMG_20110620_132339.jpg

Ammo box installed

IMG_20110620_132519.jpg

Couple of photos of the cockpit. Everything installed now and ready to get sealed up. The wash looks a little heavy in these photos, so I'll have to tone that down.

IMG_20110620_132446.jpg

IMG_20110620_143250.jpg

IMG_20110620_143326.jpg

IMG_20110620_143346.jpg

Drilled out the back end of the Hellfires.

IMG_20110620_150948.jpg

All of the Hellfire missiles and pylons, and all of the rotor pieces are all primed up.

IMG_20110620_155558.jpg

Back to painting booth and get these rotors knocked out!!

Thanks for watching

As far as Cargo Straps goes... Depends !

Of course the Army would like us to us the.. GREEN ones... but it all depends on what the Supply tech ORDERS !!! a part # is just a part # to many .... and you get what you ordered... usually !

some other times... someone puts their nose in your affair's and changes the NSN "Nato Stock Number" you have ordered... due to Shortage or... Availability !

I used for years.. the White one.. With the build in HOOK ! like yours... They also come in bright Orange and OD Green ! and many other colors, style, lengths... you name it they have it !...

I wasn't Aiming at making your model 100% accurate... just wanted to offer help if needed !

You have the whole situ in hand... and it shows...

Take care and hope to see your chopper assembled and done soonest !

a piece of wire in the Handle area will be fine !!! but I doubt you can... as your handle Lever is Depressed beyond the Area it should be !!! so... just leave it !!! I was being A.R. on you.. and I should have accepted your way .. and not try to make it mine !!! LOL silly me ! Old habits die hard !

It sure is a stunner Myke! Kept scrolling back to look at the seats!!! Great stuff buddy!! ;D

Norm: No worries mate. I appreciate the knowledge. I was never in the military so the things you are telling me are all new and very valueable. I take that and hopefully become a better modeller with that knowledge in the future.

TRM: Thanks bud!!! People really like the seats it seems. :)

Despite the very little photos, I've accomplished tons today.

- Hellfires painted
- Pylons painted
- Fuel tanks painted
- Rotor Blades, and assembly painted
- Wheels painted

There is photo etch for every nook and cranny of this flippin' kit.

IMG_20110620_203849.jpg

and FINALLY. The cabin is put together. Still some details left to pick out on the control box and some heavy "sand" washing to knock back, but i'll have that sorted before bed tonight.

url]

IMG_20110620_214258.jpg

IMG_20110620_214243.jpg

I apologise for the bad photos. My lighting setup isn't the best for photography. Once it's all finished, i'll put it in a photo booth of sorts and get some good quality pictures.

Back to the bench.

Thanks Q! You on build # 5 yet? Haven't had much chance to check in on yours.

So tired. I've been at this for almost 14 hours today. Another marathon session tomorrow.

Good night modelling mates.

MYKE,

Hang in there Dude !! It'll all be worth it in less than 10 days !! Then you can take a much needed Breather !!

WoW !! I keep sayin' that .. but ... Awesome lookin' , those seats are Fetchin' !!

You gotta love P.E. ... Just when you think you're done !

I'm lookin forward to seein' this Bird tubbed out !!

Thanks for the motivation fellas. I'll def. get it done!

Not a lot in terms of photos for todays update but I can say that the body halves are glued together now.

Started working on masking up and installing the clear parts

IMG_20110621_160014.jpg

Got the Fuel Tanks all painted up

IMG_20110621_155356.jpg

Here is the wash added to the the rotor cap

IMG_20110621_155307.jpg

And finally the rails for the hellfires are all finished up.

IMG_20110621_155331.jpg

Well like I said, nothing exciting but I've got a lot done.

A note on using the Tamiya Nato Black. I compared it up against flat black, and the semi gloss black, and when it's sprayed on, it looks like a SUPER flat black, which picks up light and makes it look a little lighter in color than the flat black. In certain lighting it even has a tiny greenish tint to it. It really picks up the sandy and white oil washes, and weathers well.

So I got some more done tonight.

Proof..., it's really glued togehter now!!

IMG_20110621_231013.jpg

Add the styrene for the rear propeller shaft

IMG_20110621_231027.jpg

Clear parts masking work with the Eduard Masks (included in the "BigEd" kit)

IMG_20110621_231043.jpg

Hellfires ready for a couple of flat coats

IMG_20110621_231914.jpg

Gluing the Cabin into the body is slow work. To get it just right with no gaps requires gluing it to the sides step by step.

IMG_20110621_231537.jpg

Here is the previous rotor piece with the wash removed

IMG_20110621_224625.jpg

...and with it drybrushed with MM Steel

IMG_20110621_225345.jpg

Dry fitting the rotor pieces.

IMG_20110621_232527.jpg

We're rolling now!!

Latest posts

Back