64 Chevy Beater Build...

Fungi

Think Small!!!
This is my first attempt at building a model in 35 years. I have been lurking here for months learning. This is not a static model though. It's based on a 1:24th scale Losi Trail Trekker RC truck. The idea is to make the underside as scale as possible ignoring the DC motor attached to the transfer housing. The top side is a normal plastic model. I made the ladder frame, leaf springs and shackles from .063" and .125" thick Delrin sheet I cut with my laser. The wheels I made with my 3D printer. I got a Talon airbrush, and am learning to use it. On to the pictures. Looking for help and advice.

truck06_zps7da43a5d.jpg

IMG_0694_zps2cf8e905.jpg

big-chevy-8-lug-ver2jpg_zps48882a73.jpg

IMG_1779_zps68fa7383.jpg

IMG_1786_zps9c79c4ae.jpg

IMG_1852_zps38bd3a99.jpg

IMG_1853_zpsb33732ea.jpg

IMG_1870_zpscede1f28.jpg

9c99e893-17f7-4442-b801-e1cbd9ee3cfc_zps43c17542.jpg

28f6a97f-2386-4df9-9eef-02f1e7185b1d_zps98e8bd18.jpg

IMG_1893_zps158bd4d8.jpg

IMG_1896_zpseed1d26c.jpg

IMG_1900_zps030ba6fe.jpg

IMG_1901_zps41c9f819.jpg

Thanks for looking.

So I've been following this guys lead.

http://mastermodels.blogspot.com/2011/01/vw-van-painting-begins.html

On the body, I attempted the highlighting! I should get credit for that. lol I sealed it with a good coat of tamiya flat clear acrylic. This is my first use of an airbrush. :p

I learned on the rims that the hairspray dries pretty fast. How do I get the salt to stick to the hairspray while doing the large body? It's difficult to tell by the pictures in the link above details like how thick is the hairspray applied?

Thanks for any advise!

Excellent Work so far!

I'm very impressed with the quality of the printed wheels. Please, can you give me some info about the 3D printer you used?

Thanks!

Eddy.

epaulk said:
Excellent Work so far!

I'm very impressed with the quality of the printed wheels. Please, can you give me some info about the 3D printer you used?

Thanks!

Eddy.

It's a Projet 3500HD Max! 8)

IMG_0732_zps9a80533d.jpg

Off to a great start! I really like that it's connected to an RC body, your going to have it as a working model correct, all RC gear is still functioning?

adampolo13 said:
Off to a great start! I really like that it's connected to an RC body, your going to have it as a working model correct, all RC gear is still functioning?

Thanks! Heck yeah it works well. Chassis flexes and everything. This really only uses the axles, shocks, and rc electronics from the donor truck. Here is a video of another similar project. It's also 1/24th scale. I made the tube style chassis and wheels with the 3D printer as well.

specter01

I really like the way your messing the two hobbies, scale model w/ RC. Keep up the great work!

P.S. That crawler is pretty sweet!

I jumped right in! I'm getting ready to flake the salt off and begin flaking away the paint. Wish me luck. :)

IMG_1904_zpsb2cff385.jpg

I think it turned out ok. :D I may have applied the paint too heavily on the sides. But it turned out close to what I intended so I'm happy with it. There are more layers of effects to add so it should get better. This part was really pretty fun!

IMG_1907_zpsf401e02b.jpg

IMG_1908_zps05be5593.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Well I put on a Model Masters Acryl flat clear coat and the color changed considerably. I think it's ok, but I lost a lot of the highlights. I then did a black wash on everything to bring out the lines. I got the black outline around the windows done. I didn't get the cab positioned perfectly for these pics, oops. Getting close to wrapping this up.

Looking for advise... What's next? What'd I do right, wrong, give it to me straight! Thanks for watching.

IMG_1912_zpsc2352557.jpg

IMG_1915_zps794263b3.jpg

IMG_1910_zpsdb7c63bf.jpg

IMG_1916_zpsf6f723a5.jpg

IMG_1917_zps3666b264.jpg

Hi Ken,

Don't know if you caught the fact that this is my first serious scale model attempt, and first time using an airbrush! haha I think the next step is AK rust pigment for adding rust streaks. I assume I can just clear over it when done, rather than use the pigment fixer...

Thanks for the comments and interest!

That suspension is wicked. The truck looks really good.

Clear over pigments is going to dull them down alot....and some will vanish. I wouldn't clear over it. You could mix a bit of pigments with thinner and essentially create a wash, or paint effect colored thin slurry. Add some subtle rust colors.

Don't go too wide open with it all at once. Let it build up. Add thin, light and allow some drying time...then you'll have a chance to look it over and make decisions on what to do next.

and keep havin fun. It's really looking cool.

Latest posts

Back