'64 1/2 Mustang convertible - Monogram

(Copied from another boad)
So, I may have gone a little overboard myself. I am really trying to concentrate on the finish of this build by applying things I've learned. The hardest lesson for me is when to leave good enough alone. Stop me if you heard this one before. Everything up to base coat went good. I used practically an entire can of Mr. Super Clear an was afraid the clear coat was still not heavy/thick enough to cover the seams of paint left from my taping job. So I bought a can of 2K after hearing the praise. That went pretty good however I was unaware the can had a 48 hour shelf life. I used what I could in that time frame and was impressed by the gloss. I SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT ALONE. I was still afraid of the paint bumps along the side of the stripes. So I layered on some Future polish. I don't think the lacquer liked that. It created "creases" in the clear coat.
View attachment 111066
View attachment 111067

Will wet sanding save me? I'm scared of wet sanding.
I would probably just remove everything and start again. If, like myself you are unhappy with a build, it doesn't matter what you try to sort it out as you will always look for the problem. Pantherman

Enjoyed reading this entire thread, but to be honest I got lost somewhere towards the third or fourth page. But Lots of helpful info, thank you for posting. Where did you pick up the painting stand and the peg board base?

I would probably just remove everything and start again. If, like myself you are unhappy with a build, it doesn't matter what you try to sort it out as you will always look for the problem. Pantherman
Thanks for the positive remarks. I'm not completely unhappy with my build so I will proceed. But I completely agree that for me, no matter how nice the finish build there will always be something. Even if only we can see it.

Enjoyed reading this entire thread, but to be honest I got lost somewhere towards the third or fourth page. But Lots of helpful info, thank you for posting. Where did you pick up the painting stand and the peg board base?
If you're asking me about the stand Stevie, I'm sure it was Amazon.

I was going to try and use thinner, but wasn't sure of a good procedure to get the thick gloss out of the jar without making a sticky mess.
OK, so you haven't tried it yet? Given your previous comment asking about hand-brushing it, followed by the photo, I thought you had already tried it.
If you haven't yet, and you definitely want to hand-brush it, I would absolutely thin it. Generally I thin anything I want to brush by hand, just as I would for airbrushing. That's something I learned over time, painting toy soldiers, and when I started using Tamiya acrylics. Picking up the paint right from the jar with a brush, I had most of the same issues you read people talking about. Once I figured out to thin them, and thin them with Tamiya's proprietary thinner, I got results as if I airbrushed them.
And then I realized that generally, when handbrushing, especially large areas, it helps to thin the paints and apply thin coats, building them up as necessary.
The only product I don't thin as a matter of course is Future. It's self-leveling, so it brushes pretty well.
For this gloss medium, I would thin it. But I would also test it out first. Get a piece of another kit, a piece of styrene sheet or card, lay down your color coats just as on your model-primer, color-and then test out brushing the gloss medium.
I don't know of anyone who has tried applying this by hand, but it can't hurt to test it out.

OK, so you haven't tried it yet? Given your previous comment asking about hand-brushing it, followed by the photo, I thought you had already tried it.
If you haven't yet, and you definitely want to hand-brush it, I would absolutely thin it. Generally I thin anything I want to brush by hand, just as I would for airbrushing. That's something I learned over time, painting toy soldiers, and when I started using Tamiya acrylics. Picking up the paint right from the jar with a brush, I had most of the same issues you read people talking about. Once I figured out to thin them, and thin them with Tamiya's proprietary thinner, I got results as if I airbrushed them.
And then I realized that generally, when handbrushing, especially large areas, it helps to thin the paints and apply thin coats, building them up as necessary.
The only product I don't thin as a matter of course is Future. It's self-leveling, so it brushes pretty well.
For this gloss medium, I would thin it. But I would also test it out first. Get a piece of another kit, a piece of styrene sheet or card, lay down your color coats just as on your model-primer, color-and then test out brushing the gloss medium.
I don't know of anyone who has tried applying this by hand, but it can't hurt to test it out.

Don't think it will go well as the description " thick gloss out of the jar" doesn't bode well.
Having said that, I'm open minded so a test piece as the Baron suggests would be interesting to see the results. Pantherman

So what's a good process to thin it down by hand in an amount that can be repeated? Pipettes aren't going to cut it with this thick of a product. And yes, I'm shopping for an airbrush. Working space as you know is always at a premium.

20240112_110035.jpg

Pretty simple process...
Use a brush, a popsicle stick, or something to pick up a dollop of the gloss medium and put it on your palette.
Use an eyedropper, a pipette, a drinking straw, to pick up a drop or two of the thinner and drop it into the gloss medium on the palette. (With the straw, it's Archimedes' principle, I think-stick the straw in the liquid, then cover the open end with your finger. Air pressure will keep the liquid there, till you release).
Use a toothpick to stir till the stuff looks consistent.

A PS-in fact, use your brush there to pick up the gloss medium and put it on the palette, add the thinner as I described, then just use your brush to mix it. Even simpler.

So what's a good process to thin it down by hand in an amount that can be repeated? Pipettes aren't going to cut it with this thick of a product. And yes, I'm shopping for an airbrush. Working space as you know is always at a premium.

View attachment 112502
Wow, that must be really thick. I would probably add a little thinner to the pot to make it more use able. Just an idea, others with more expertise may suggest a better solution. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back