'64 Chevy Nova - Resto Mod / Moebius

I wanted to try my hand at simulating some carpet with spray adhesive and embossing powder. The spray glue came out so strong it immediately globbed up. I tried to even it out but it was already to rubbery. I could barely wash and peel it off.
20240310_201031.jpg

So I tried plain old Elmer's glue on the rear deck. I taped over the vent. I got too much glue on the tape so when I peeled it off, the layer of glue came off. If I were to let it dry fully I would never get the tape off.
20240310_231241.jpg

Finally after getting all that gunk cleaned up I laid down a layer of matte varnish and that worked well.
20240311_121618.jpg
20240311_122413.jpg

Dashboard: To drill or not to drill.
20240311_195700.jpg
I've seen folks drill out to holes and show the gauges from behind. Thoughts, examples?

Good job on this. I really like the carpet texture. I will have to explain your technique.
I got a tip to use embossing powder instead of flocking powder. It's usually applied on ink and then heated with a gun to melt shiny (ie. calligraphy). If you leave it dry it works great. I think it looks more to scale than flocking powder.

20240317_115318.jpg

I use a thin layer of white glue and let it self level and give a good dusting with the powder. The powder does not need to be sifted. One tip I'll mention, is even on a semi-gloss floor it can turn out a little shiny. So last time I tried using matte varnish to stick it down.

I got a tip to use embossing powder instead of flocking powder. It's usually applied on ink and then heated with a gun to melt shiny (ie. calligraphy). If you leave it dry it works great. I think it looks more to scale than flocking powder.

View attachment 115125

I use a thin layer of white glue and let it self level and give a good dusting with the powder. The powder does not need to be sifted. One tip I'll mention, is even on a semi-gloss floor it can turn out a little shiny. So last time I tried using matte varnish to stick it down.
I’m curious if after the glue and powder dry if you hit it with a mist of hairspray what the effect might be.
Further investigation is required. I will test that on spare parts.

Body: Seems to always be my nemesis. Let me know if my plan is sound.

• A couple lite coats of flat white Rustoleum primer. Appears I may have overscribed.
  • How many coats of primer before color?
  • Do I wet sand the primer coat, or only dry?

20240317_121239.jpg

20240317_121345.jpg

I want to put decals on the windows. Is this what I'm looking for? And how will they look on clear parts? Are there Chevy specific brands? I would not know the diff. I'm not really building a HRM ( Hot Rod Mod ), did I just make that up, but I want some other colors to pop against the Candy Lime green.

1710719763171.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 205037.jpg

Last edited:
I’m curious if after the glue and powder dry if you hit it with a mist of hairspray what the effect might be.
Further investigation is required. I will test that on spare parts.
I will say it stays put pretty well. I never think of the hairspray treatment.

I'm a bit disappointed the decals size does not match the mold on the body. Trust me they are not just misaligned.

20240325_122517.jpg

20240325_122503.jpg

Latest posts

Back