'64 1/2 Mustang convertible - Monogram

C.A. Whitecloud

I primed, sanded/filled; primed, scribed and sanded. How many coats of primer is recommended? How smooth/shiny should my final primer coat be before starting my top coat? Black or grey primer under gloss burgundy?
20231101_110949.jpg
20231031_134258.jpg

Any last words before top coat? Tips/tricks? I'm really attempting to get my best finish yet. I followed a specific primer procedure. I did not sand the final black coat. It's pretty smooth to the touch. Where I get lost is how to judge when to wet sand/polish, how many coats in between and repeat the process more than once? How do you guys handle the engine bay and underside of hood? Using Rustoleum Burgundy rattle can.

20231106_090853.jpg

Any last words before top coat? Tips/tricks? I'm really attempting to get my best finish yet. I followed a specific primer procedure. I did not sand the final black coat. It's pretty smooth to the touch. Where I get lost is how to judge when to wet sand/polish, how many coats in between and repeat the process more than once? How do you guys handle the engine bay and underside of hood? Using Rustoleum Burgundy rattle can.

View attachment 108384
I have to say I was pleased with myself for scribing of the molded wipers and getting a fairly clean line. First time trying aftermarket parts. Thought I'd start there.

All I can say is use multiple , light coats .

The primer looks grainy but it's hard to tell exactly from the photo .

All I can say is use multiple , light coats .

The primer looks grainy but it's hard to tell exactly from the photo .
It's smoother than it looks in the photo but I did purposely leave it with a bit of texture. Should I wet sand or something?

Do you have some fine grit sponge sanding sheets ?
I would do some sanding , but that's from what it looks like in the photo .

I have 2000 grit sponge. I have Micro-mesh squares but forgot what the different colors are. And what's the deal with wet sanding? How does it differ and when is it appropriate.

It's always appropriate when appropriate . lol
It's more efficient and gives a better finish since the water removes the waste .

2000 is really fine ; be like digging with a spoon -- especially against and alkyd . That's an enamel primer ?
I'd go with 6-800
going by the photo .

It's always appropriate when appropriate . lol
It's more efficient and gives a better finish since the water removes the waste .

2000 is really fine ; be like digging with a spoon -- especially against and alkyd . That's an enamel primer ?
I'd go with 6-800
going by the photo .
If I sand and it gets down to the grey layer does that mean my black primer coats are not thick enough?20231107_100337.jpg

gray layer ?
how many layers of paint are on this thing ? lol

Don't stand on the sanding sponge .
I was talking about just sanding down that pebble texture .

gray layer ?
how many layers of paint are on this thing ? lol

Don't stand on the sanding sponge .
I was talking about just sanding down that pebble texture .
I thought I was being gentle. I started with grey primer and then switched to black because I'm using Burgundy top coat.

I would have stuck with the lighter primer color .

So you're saying you've sanding through the black primer ?

I thought dark primer for dark colors. No?
It depends on the opacity of the topcoat .
You're using rattlecan enamels ( alkyd ) yeah ?
Acrylics provide far more translucence so the appearance of the topcoat can be modulated by the primer coat color .
Alkyds not so much .
If you did a comparison of that burgundy over grey and black primer you wouldn't see a difference .

That's why I said I would have stayed with the grey primer since each additional coat of paint can eliminate fine details .
Avoid excess coatings

One mist coat and another "mist" coat that went on a little wetter than intended. Do I apply more color coats? Do I polish and then more color. When do I know when to stop?
View attachment 108457
View attachment 108456

Looks Good !
Let that cure at least 24 .

Latest posts

Back