Chevy Engine Red

Stan57

Seems Model master is out of business so any help here with a Chevy engine red in acrylic paints I Do not like to use enamels they smell and dry to slow lol

As far as the original post goes.

Chevy Engine Red was not a consistent color. Every batch of paint was a little different. So each model year the color could vary ever so slightly. Even engines in the same model year could vary a little bit.

Because of this I mix my own Chevy Engine Red. I always have orange and red paint on hand, so why buy an additional color?

Take some orange paint, and add some red into it until you get a nice red-orange color.

I think that is their lacquer paint. I use MCW Finishes from time to time and I think they only sell lacquers and enamels. I could be wrong though.

There was a pop-up resin warning, but that was for their resin parts and bodies.
It's acrylic resin .
Weren't you part of the " why do they call Tamiya acrylics lacquer " thread ?
I think you were the OP . maybe not .

It ain't nitrocellulose

It's acrylic resin .
Weren't you part of the " why do they call Tamiya acrylics lacquer " thread ?
I think you were the OP . maybe not .

It ain't nitrocellulose
Yeah I was part of that. I didn't know MCW made acrylics. Everything I purchased from them is lacquer. Pre-thinned for airbrush use. And cleaned up with lacquer thinner.

I guess paint is still confusing for me. haha

Wouldn’t going to the auto shop to buy Chevy specific colors work? Spray can high temp paint, works on the real deal.

Chevy engines were only red for a couple of years in the fifties.
I think 1950-52
Before that they were Orange.
In the fifties they were changed from red - to white - to yellow - and then back to orange.

Reason? You can't see oil leaks against the darker red (seriously).

Use a Fire Engine Red in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back