MPC 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo

This is my 1980 Monte Carlo Stock, I took my time building it. It’s my second ever plastic model car made, It was fun painting it and building parts of it. I probably will avoid buying another MPC kit because some things came broke and misshapen. The fenders and quarter panels are to con-caved that it was very difficult to put on the chassis without cracking it. But I got the main part looking ok.

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

72256814693__C5604BE8-6BF7-460E-8AFC-9876044A810D.jpeg

I love MPC kits ! That Monte Carlo is a repop of the 1980 original. How do I know this? I built that kit in the 80s. I also built the ‘78 Monte Carlo kit (Wheeler Dealer) as well. That kit was released around 1978. So, no surprise because the newer kit were made using old molds. I can say the same for the re pop of older Monogram kits rebranded as Revell - hence Revellogram. They suck.

So I wouldn’t write off MPC kits as garbage. I’ve got a few rereleased and original MPC kits in my stash. Not a big fan of AMT kits due to their fit issues for years. Even the Torino kit gave me fits.

I’ve always built MPC, original Monogram and original Revell and some current edition Revell (Revellogram) kits over the years. Yes, I still have a few AMT kits in my stash.

The Monte turned out pretty good. I wish I could find a kit of a '79 Monte Carlo. I've always like the looks of that year the best. '78 had ugly taillights and I didn't care of the double headlights on the '80.

I love MPC kits ! That Monte Carlo is a repop of the 1980 original. How do I know this? I built that kit in the 80s. I also built the ‘78 Monte Carlo kit (Wheeler Dealer) as well. That kit was released around 1978. So, no surprise because the newer kit were made using old molds. I can say the same for the re pop of older Monogram kits rebranded as Revell - hence Revellogram. They suck.

So I wouldn’t write off MPC kits as garbage. I’ve got a few rereleased and original MPC kits in my stash. Not a big fan of AMT kits due to their fit issues for years. Even the Torino kit gave me fits.

I’ve always built MPC, original Monogram and original Revell and some current edition Revell (Revellogram) kits over the years. Yes, I still have a few AMT kits in my stash.
Well with that being said I’ll try another MPC kit. Maybe it was just that kit in particular that was ruined.
Looking good. Pantherman
Thanks man, I think the next one I get will be a M1A2 abrams if I can find one I like. I see all of y’all’s beautiful tanks and I want that challenge.
The Monte turned out pretty good. I wish I could find a kit of a '79 Monte Carlo. I've always like the looks of that year the best. '78 had ugly taillights and I didn't care of the double headlights on the '80.
Thanks! And really? That’s one thing I loved about the early 80s M.Cs then the 90s came and ruined the great Box Chevy. Lol

AND I almost ruined the model mid assembly, my sweatshirt caught on it when I adjusted in my seat and it went flying to the ground. The front wheel(glued) broke off so I re glued it in a non moving fashion. I was so upset but couldn’t help but to laugh. Lol

Tam
Well with that being said I’ll try another MPC kit. Maybe it was just that kit in particular that was ruined.

Thanks man, I think the next one I get will be a M1A2 abrams if I can find one I like. I see all of y’all’s beautiful tanks and I want that challenge.

Thanks! And really? That’s one thing I loved about the early 80s M.Cs then the 90s came and ruined the great Box Chevy. Lol

Tamiya do a good kit. Pantherman

Screenshot_20240122_195143_Chrome.jpg

This was definitely on the list, but does the shielding on the side come with the covers? Also what the the dimensions of the 1/72 1/35 and 1/16? I live in a small space so need something small but I want something big enough with good detail.
I am also short of space so I tend to build 1/35 as my "go to" size. Not too big, not as expensive as 1/16 and great details especially on the newer kits. Pantherman

If I had to choose... ( I'm aware, two diff. model years). Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-04-03 133323.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-03 133230.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-03 133951.jpg

You can’t beat classic Mopars… Get the General Lee Charger. Any year Charger is a classic.

I’ve got the Great Street Machines Series ‘67 Charger in my stash

Monogram/Revell kits were/are the best out-of-box fitment for cars and trucks. AMT/ERTL/MPC are great for making a lot of variety in car modeling, but they are terrible fitting models, and the spruced parts a very fine and delicate.

I am currently bashing a monogram and an AMT kit. It is night and day in the choices they made making the same year, make and model vehicle. Quite frustrating really.

Never forget about the power of gentle heat to help shape and reform these plastic bits. I use a tea light candle, if that don't fix it - look to the 1:1 world - and skim coat the panels in putty and sand the shape back to it.

This is a great start!

O i have heard the Moebius Kits fit together like a dream. i personally have no experience, but the finished products look great.

Latest posts

Back