1950 Chevy 3100 Pickup from AMT. FINISHED

scalebuilderchad

I am building the 1950 Chevy 3100 Pickup kit from AMT.

I try to learn a new skill with every new build. And before this kit I never really scratch build or customized anything. I only added details like wiring and seat belts and the like.

The new skills I am going to try and learn with this kit are incorporating 3D printed parts, and customizing with scratchbuilding. And I am going to try a pretty wild two-tone color combo with an accent color.

So on with the build.

I tossed out the kit engine and replaced it with a hot rodded 235 inline 6 from Iceman Collections. This is a completely 3D prnted engine and it is engineered to pretty much drop into this kit. I had to cut the kit transmission off the engine and glue it onto this one. One I did that, it fit the chassis very well.

For engine paint I sanded the parts smooth, coated them with Splash 1k Black Surfacer. Then I took some Tamiya LP series Pure Orange, thinned it with some Mr Leveling Thinner, and airbrushed the engine. After paint was cured I applied a generous coating of Splash 2K Ultra Gloss Clear.

All the chrome on this engine is SMS Hyperchome Cold Tone. This stuff is amazing. I even wrote a how to article for Fine Scale Magazine to show everyone how to use it. This stuff is bright and shiny, and you can apply it over any color, including orange.

The exhaust manifold is the stock one from the kit. Then I added a dual outlet to the casting. And believe it or not, but the belt is masking tape painted Rubber Black.

IMG_1553 (1).jpgIMG_1552 (1).jpgIMG_1551 (1).jpgIMG_1550 (1).jpg

The accent color on this build is that Tamiya LP Pure Orange. So I also painted the chassis and the wheels the same orange as the engine.

The wheels and tires are also 3D printed parts from Iceman Collections. They are 16" Artillery wheels 7" wide in the front. 10" wide in the rear. And the tires are Firestone Wide Whitewalls. I sanded the sidewalls and the hubcaps smooth. The painted the tires Splash Rubber Black.. The whitewalls are actually seperate pieces so no masking required. I painted the whitewalls an off-white that I came up with. It is mostly Tamiya XF Flat White, with a couple drops of Brown and Yellow in there. All Tamiya XF colors. Then I clear coated the whitewalls with semi-gloss clear from Mr Hobby.

And the smoothed hubcaps are painted with SMS Hyperchrome.

You can't see it in this pic, but I am using a 3D printed drop axle beam in the front, from Iceman Collections. And the rear axle is a quick change unit, also 3D printed from Iceman. The front beam, and center housing of the rear axle are chromed with SMS Hyperchrome. Rear axle tubes are the same Tamiya LP Pure Orange as the engine and chassis.

Sorry, this is a potato cam pic. Very bad quality.

IMG_20230827_223027142.jpg

Last edited:
Here is part of the exhaust system I am scratchbuilding.

I scratchbuilt a dual outlet exhaust manifold. Then the pipes are 0.080" styrene rod. And the muffler is 3 layers of 0.060" sheet glued together and then sanded to shape. And finally it was all glossIMG_20230908_193441839.jpg clearcoated, and then chromed with SMS Hyperchrome.

And here is a sample of the two tone paint scheme.

These colors are from Splash paints. The tan color is called Limestone, and the green is called Pastel Green.

The orange seperation color is Tamiya LP Pure Orange. then small bit of orange on the body is the same orange that I painted the chassis and engine.

And the clearcoat is 2k Ultra Gloss Clear from Splash paints. I love this stuff. You lay down a couple light coats, wait like 5 minutes for them to get tacky. Then lay down a wet coat and it lays down smooth as glass. I never have problems with orange peel.

IMG_20230910_214605374.jpg

Oh yeah, and the interior is orange too.

The seats are 3D printed. I smoothed the dash. I scratchbuilt the shifter and boot. And used Kens Fuzzy Fur flocking for the carpet.

IMG_20230909_184155529.jpg

All the body panels are in 2k clear from Splash Paints.

I love this stuff. It is a bit priceybut you shoot it through an airbrush and it lays down so smooth that it rarely even needs to be polished afterwards. Here are all the other body panels. And that shine is as shot. I didn't polish those parts.IMG_20230912_120141009.jpg

All the body panels are in 2k clear from Splash Paints.

I love this stuff. It is a bit priceybut you shoot it through an airbrush and it lays down so smooth that it rarely even needs to be polished afterwards. Here are all the other body panels. And that shine is as shot. I didn't polish those parts.View attachment 105818
This is looking awesome. Love the colors you are using.

This is looking awesome. Love the colors you are using.
Thank you!

I was originally going to do a silver cab and bed with metallic grey fenders and roof. With the orange accents, but I had some paint struggles.

Then I saw these colors and had to try it out. So this combo was totally unintentional. But it works.

I made a little more progress. The interior is in the cab. I mounted the hood on a side hinge. The clearcoat is all polished out. And the exhaust is all done.

This is the exhaust. I scratchbuilt a dual-outlet exhaust manifold. Then the exhaust pipes are .080" styrene rod, I used a candle to heat it up and bend it. The muffler is a few layers of .060" styrene sheet glued together and then sanded to shape. And finally I drilled out some metal tubing to make it extra thin and used that for exhaust tips. Then I used SMS Hyperchrome to chrom all the tubing.

IMG_20230917_110835658.jpg

Here is the cab with the interior in it. I used lowrider bomb style handles and a lowrider bomb style rear view mirror. Those parts are all from Lowrider Model Car Parts. Check him out if you ever want to try building a lowrider.

IMG_20230913_011609744.jpg

And then here is the side hinged hood. I added an orage inner panel to hide the hinge mounts and dress it up a bit. You can't see it, but I put a similar orange dress up panel in the cab. It is mounted to the ceiling.

IMG_20230913_011632989.jpg

Getting closer in baby steps. All the windows are in now.

IMG_20230921_001740624.jpg

The chrome windshield trim is painted on with SMS Hyperchrome. I seriously love this stuff.

Sorry for the crappy image quality. I have a phone with a potato cam.

Latest posts

Back