64 Chevy Beater Build...

Fungi, I personally find the rust spots come across as mud rather than rust. You can always go back in with some more rust paint/pigments etc. You can add different rust tones, faded paint, or/and streaks like you said. You can go as far as you want or leave as is if you are happy with it. Overall the truck is wicked. I really like the shape of these Chevy trucks. And the tires and suspension are wicked. It's like a model you can actually play with !!

Hi guys! Thanks for the comments and interest. :D Before I started I searched the interwebs for some inspiration. I found the following image, and honestly I hadn't looked at it in a long time.

old-chevy-truck_zpsc2128183.jpg

I can see I need to darken the rust overall. I plan to take some soft foam rubber and pull it apart into natural looking chunks to use to dab on the darker rust colors. I also agree there needs to be some paint highlight variation. Overall it has been a very rewarding project. It's very close to being done. I have two more ready to go. I plan to go a little further with rust through... 8)

Thanks for watching!

That is a very nice reference. Nice green and rust colours. I would suggest taking your time and layering the rust colours. Lots of inspiration on the forums. Even some how-to guides. If you use a different type of paint then you can always wipe it off and start over. Or sealing the base paint will help also. Notice on the door of your reference pic. that the paint around the rust is stained orange. There is a run under the mirror and there is a few variations of green tones just on the door itself. You just have to really look at it. These green tones can be easily achieved by using oil paints or acrylics with a little retarder. Just wipe most of the paint off your brush so it isn't too much and the greasiness of the retartder medium or oils will allow you to thinly spread the paint and blend it in. I hope this helps you out a little.

Update! As we know, the rust wasn't dark enough. I made a relatively strong wash and applied with a sponge. I think it really brought it much closer to real life. I was so satisfied I went ahead a installed the windows and interior. The brush guard is not finished yet. I am not sure what I will make to cover the battery, but for now I threw some stuff in the bed for pictures. Not finished yet, but it's ready to crawl.

IMG_1931_zps5174b7ec.jpg

IMG_1932_zps22606dd5.jpg

IMG_1933_zps675e7ca1.jpg

IMG_1935_zps07b1caae.jpg

IMG_1936_zpsf1bbfad8.jpg

IMG_1934_zps9540ac31.jpg

IMG_1938_zpsf12384a9.jpg

IMG_1937_zpsc0c3b852.jpg

IMG_1940_zps85bb1bc8.jpg

IMG_1941_zps5a54c7f0.jpg

Comments welcome!!!

This is amazing, makes me want to get into RC. Looks very cool all around, although I think the bits in the bed will need some weathering attention. Post a video of it working, I'd love to see how it controls and moves!

Hey Cave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the stuff in back will be aged as well, I was just lazy. lol What I think I will do is add oxy/acetylene torch cylinders and a scratch built welder towards the front of the bed for a place to hide the battery.

I found some awesome chain at hobby lobby. It looks like a 1.5" link chain. Part no is 570564. It's white nickel but I'm going to paint it rust color.

The donor truck is the Losi Trail Trekker. For the technical information on making modifications to these trucks check out the forum at www.rccrawler.com (Losi Micro-Rock Crawler). When this is done (very soon) I will start my 32 ford, or my 48 ford, can't decide yet. haha

Fungi said:
I will start my 32 ford, or my 48 ford, can't decide yet. haha

You should do a 32 Ford but made to look like a zombie hunter/post apocolyptic truck to go with current contest.

Contest sounds interesting, but I'm really slow. lol

Here I found some scale chain at hobby lobby. It comes bright silver, but I painted it flat brown. Making progress...

IMG_1945_zps2b0ac529.jpg

IMG_1949_zps0fd879c6.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Thanks!

I decided to make a welder to hide the battery in the bed. I started to scratch build it from laser cut styrene parts, but decided it would be better suited for the printer. Here is a render of the Miller Wildcat 200 welder/generator I drew up. It's hollow inside to hide the battery. I should have a part in the morning. :)

miller-welder-2_zps1157b8f6.jpg

Gotta love technology these days! I bet in a few years "kits" will be obsolete, just buy the plans and print the parts at home.

That welder does look great b.t.w.!

Hi, Thanks for the comments. The machine costs as much as a home right now. lol But yes one day...

I got the battery holder printed. It went very well, much easier than a tube chassis to clean for paint. It will look more like a welder and less like a dog carrier when it is painted. lol There is room inside for a 180mAh 2s lipo. The metal loop is a bent lead from a capacitor. I am going to try to make decals for it. There will also be an oxy/acetylene torch and reels for the hoses. A roll cage with work lights too.

IMG_1963_zpsf1785193.jpg

IMG_1969_zps0c364069.jpg

IMG_1966_zps95238eba.jpg

IMG_1967_zps2890bd25.jpg

Latest posts

Back