Your First Time...

What was the type of the very first model you've built?

• A Plane

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • A Boat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Car

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A Tank/Military Vehicle

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A Star Wars Model

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • A Star Trek Model

• A Mecha

• It was something Sci Fi

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Wait, not so fast, I just got into this hobby!

• It's not listed here.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mine was the snap Xwing from AMT. Actually it was the 'battle damaged' one that was in the first video I made. I managed to carry that around for 20 years. I built a Hind soon after that and I seem to recall a modern jet too.

First kit was a Me 109 back in grade school. Built at the kitchen table, with the window open durng a cold Alberta November (because Mom was sure I was going to get high from the glue fumes). By the time I was done it was just covered in glue and finger prints, but I remember being very proud of it, because I had built it myself.

Mine was a car (don't recall what), as my Dad built them, so I at first I got the hand-me-downs from him, of which I have a DM600 Mack truck that still sits on my shelf (unbuilt), and I am sure I have parts of a few kicking around here somewhere if I looked hard enough.

After that, I got into aircraft, and then ventured into armor. Only modern aircraft and armor would do, wasn't interested in much before Vietnam. Mildly interested in Allied WWII, but not enough to want to build them, and WWII German or Japanese was completely out of the question....after all, they lost the war.

For the most part now, I am still more or less interested in modern aircraft, armor as well as autos. I do have a few WWII items mixed in, mostly ones used by Canada, and there are even a few WWII German armor and aircraft pieces mixed in. I also dabble in ships, and sci-fi, as well as the odd figure, but rarely as a stand alone.

The one draw back of being interested in many diverse genres of modelling, is I find myself with a collection rapidly encroaching on 600 kits. Of course owning a hobby shop, and being able to buy what you want for yourself at costs doesn't help either!!

Elm City Hobbies said:
The one draw back of being interested in many diverse genres of modelling, is I find myself with a collection rapidly encroaching on 600 kits. Of course owning a hobby shop, and being able to buy what you want for yourself at costs doesn't help either!!

Haha, that's cheating!

The first model I remember completing was an F4-U Corsair.
That's not counting the number of AMT Enterprise failures I had back then

Mine was a Ka-50 "Black Shark" helicopter. If I recall right I've got it on my 7th birthday. That time I didn't eveng get to painting and had a pair of finger prints near the cockpit, but anyway it looked really good for me, and it is still with me, somewhere on the garret :)

My first was a german ww2 plane back when I was 4 years old. My dad sat me down and helped me build it. I still have one model I build back when I was a kid. It was a space 1999 hawk from MPC. This model is a good 32 years old, and unbroken. No paint, just decals. I am not sure where it is, but I had it out just a month or two ago.

I did a quick search, and couldn't find it, or I would post photos, but I did find a box of models I built 15 years ago, so thank you for this thread, I might post photos of them soon.

mine was one of the Revell Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Ratfink kits. I love it I wish I could find more of them.

MrNatural said:
mine was one of the Revell Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Ratfink kits. I love it I wish I could find more of them.

Take a look on Ebay, I see them there occasionally.

It was an Airfix 1/72 Focke Wulf 190 and way back in 1971 when I were a wee wipper snapper and all of 4 yrs old! :eek:

Mine, if i remember right, was a 'hawker harrier.' it was small (1/72 scale maybe...) it was green plastic from what i remember. I was very young. My mom in the car was helping me say the name while we were driving home. ;D I think we bought it at Target, before they stopped selling model stuff. My brother was into models and it kindof rubbed off. he don't do them anymore.
I have no clue what ever happened to it. i used to pay with my models after I built them then, not anymore (beyond the occasional airplane noises and shooting guns sounds :p ).

I was thinking of what models I BOUGHT first, but BUILT is a whole other thing! I vaguely remember building a monster truck snap kit as a little glue sniffer. Since returning to modeling building I think it was a Dragon 1/72 Sherman. Moving from painting 28mm stuff I wanted to stick to something in the same size area. 1/35th stuff looked huge back then!

I really can't remember my first kit, I do fondly remember a Revell Penny Pincher 1/25 Scale VW BUG that was given to me as a gift for my 9th birthday. Funny how after getting back into the hobby I decide to do a VW Rat Rod.

Mine was a Model T Ford when I was 5. I think it was by Lindberg, but I'm not sure. I do remember that it was a relatively simple kit, with metal axles so the wheels rotated.

the first kit i built with a little help, mostly buy myself, was a 1/24th or 1/25th scale Corvette C5-R didnt turn out too well, paint job sucked..... assembly was half way done.... spoiler was on backwards... just a mess!

second build was a 1968 Corvette stingray, horrible paint job...

3rd was what Road Ace used to be... after that i stopped then built the very first Ace Of Spades P-51D Mustang.

Latest posts

Back