Produce your extra thin cement for almost free

CY343491

Hi,
I've found a way to produce extra thin cement which works great;
I live in Turkey, here 40 ml green cap Tamiya extra thin cement costs 123 Turkish liras (6.31 USD, 5.76 Euros, 5.06 GBP)
Firtstly you need to buy %99 Acetone and Buty Acetate. 1 liter of Acetone plus 1 liter of Butyl Acetate costs 250 Turkish Liras (12.84 USD, 11.72 Euros, 10.30 GBP)
Then Acetone and Butyl Acetate must be mixed %50-%50 in a chemical durable container (Those two are corrosive materials for plastics and acrylics), and sometimes there can be some residues in chemicals so when you pour your chemical it may be good to use tea strainer.
And i've done some experiments, more butyl acetate means faster curing time but i don't know the exact proportions.
As conclusion you can produce two liters of same material istead of 40 ml for about 2x price by this way.
By the way i've learned it from some youtube guys, special thanks to them.

Warning: Those two materials are hazardous, so always use protective equipment, when working on.

6 times the 40ML bottle, same price, same ingredients.

No mixing required.

Rob.View attachment 100047
Hi Rob, i also know it, but in my country mixing is so much profitable, i don't know US prices for airbrush cleaner.
İ'm also wondering if this airbrush cleaner harms the teflon seals or o-rings of airbrushes, it's the exact same material of cement?

Hi Rob, i also know it, but in my country mixing is so much profitable, i don't know US prices for airbrush cleaner.
İ'm also wondering if this airbrush cleaner harms the teflon seals or o-rings of airbrushes, it's the exact same material of cement? Have you ever tried to ise it for airbrush cleaning?

İ'm also wondering if this airbrush cleaner harms the teflon seals or o-rings of airbrushes, it's the exact same material of cement? Have you ever tried to ise it for airbrush cleaning?

No sir, never personally cleaned an air brush with it, as silly as that sounds, but I have used it in place of TAMIYA Extra Thin for a long time. I would tend to think that it would be very good for cleaning an air brush, since TAMIYA doesn't usually let us down and I certainly wouldn't think people wouldn't have had problems and reported it to everybody as we're all on pretty much the same forums and groups? I just don't think they ever figured we would find out it's basically the same product as Extra Thin.

There is no doubt in my mind that bulk mixing would be cost effective, but over here, that 40ML bottle of TAMIYA Extra Thin is about $$5-$6 US and that bottle of 250ML TAMIYA Air Brush Cleaner is $7-$8 US, it doesn't work out all that bad.

Rob.

İ'm also wondering if this airbrush cleaner harms the teflon seals or o-rings of airbrushes, it's the exact same material of cement? Have you ever tried to ise it for airbrush cleaning
No, we don’t brew our own thinner to clean airbrushes. Only one way to find out is test it on your own airbrush. Be forewarned, it may go badly.

Latest posts

Back