Wittmann's Last Ride

Great Looking Project!!! I'll Keep My eyes Peeled.........Ew, that sounds painful. ;D

I saw the "Greatest Tank Battles" on Whitmans last battle, and that is what they ended up deducing is that it was a Canadian Firefly that took him out.

Of course it was a Canadian produced show, on the Canadian History channel....so maybe a little biased....but that is where the evidence seems to point.

may i also say something? if it was a typhoon fighter that attacked his tank, there probably would have been a lot of "craters" if you will from rockets. typically when a Fighter attacks with rockets, it attacks in rapid succession, it does not just fire 2 or 4, it may fire its whole entire load to increase chances of hitting the target! Rockets at the time where highly inaccurate! couldn't hit the braud side of a barn, LOL almost literally! so my guess if it was a typhoon that attacked him, it would be a possibility not only would he have suffered more damage than he did, but they probably would have found more ripped up land around the tank from rockets hitting the ground.

may i use a example, probably feeble, when i do attacking runs on tanks in my flight simulator, with rockets, as little as i use them beacuse i hate them beacuse they are a waste and i would rather have a extra set of bombs. i get up close as i can without damaging myself, and fire a salvo... even then sometimes i am un successful at destroying the target, and even if i destroy the tank, there is usually a tun of craters around the tank from rocket impacts! just a example, little as it may be, but a example.

Opened up a whole can of worms eh ::)...Sorry Erik , I was just suggesting that its an interesting story along with who shot the Red Baron ,and did the shot kill him or was it his head hitting the guns when he crashed ??
Anyhoo ,for what its worth ,I would believe it was a Canadian shot that took Wittman out ,the British were at their range limit and would have been a very lucky shot !!! , It wasnt an aircraft rocket as where his tank was hit ,the angle is too shallow (apparently the round hit between the bottom of the turret and the rear deck which jammed the turret ? ). Its also been mentioned that the turret was not blown off ,but was removed by the Germans to recover Wittmann's body ?
Interesting aint it ;D

Sorry for hijacking your thread buddy ....I'll stop now , Blog on ;)

Chris.

his body wasnt discovered until 1983 i think it said in that show so i doubt it was recoveded by the germans

Anyway let old bones rest

And how is the model the "MODEL" coming along??????

Geegad

Guys, this is a perfectly civil discussion on a historical mystery that intrigues a lot of people, if Erik didn't want to talk about the history aspect, he wouldn't have brought it up. I'm sure he's fine with the discussion and if not, HE can let us know.

Cool? Cool 8)

ScaleModelMadman said:
Guys, this is a perfectly civil discussion on a historical mystery that intrigues a lot of people, if Erik didn't want to talk about the history aspect, he wouldn't have brought it up. I'm sure he's fine with the discussion and if not, HE can let us know.

Cool? Cool 8)

i highly agree, here at SMA we are adults, or mature young men and women. and we do not fight, we discuss and debate in a adult like friendly manner. i believe that debate is completely healthy, and you can learn something from it. i find it interesting, all the things you learn here at SMA. its great beacuse i myself have been in many debates, and im still good friends with the many that i have debated with.

however i do agree, lets not stray too far from the primary goal, which is the model itself, but still, i think it adds to the interesting history of this model!

Im with that it's one of the main reason I do this because of the history I watch it I read it and I make it so I could bore you to tears with the war I know my partner would agree

I just want to see his tiger cause I know it's going to be a cracker!!!

Geegad

Yow-Za !! It seems this thread has picked up steam in My absence. I haven't been in Hiding .. Well ... I was down in th Outer Banks - Kill Devil Hills N.C. this week end .. On Da' Beach ! Soakin up th Sun & Gettin' back to My "natural Color" as only a Cherokee can !! ;D

CHRIS - lol ! I don't think .... Well you may have opened the Can , but I tore off th Lid & Got th Convo goin. ;D

As KEN stated . It's all Good, I like talkin' History. As I mentioned in th Opening Salvo - It IS a Hot Button issue. ;D I think We can let sleeping Dogs lie . It's a controversial subject that could be debated By Gentleman till th Cows come home, so Unless it get's started in another Thread .... It's good for Now. I'm not on a mission to Prove Who Killed Wittmann or What exactly Killed him. So .....

There's no real Update. I just got back into town a few Hours ago from th Beach , I didn't get burned in th 100+ degree weather, but Soaked up th Sun, Played with My 2 1/2 yr. Old Daughter in th Surf , Well .... We (My Wife, Daughter & Me) actually went to th Roanoke Sound ( it's not as rough or as deep as th Ocean & perfect for 2 1/2 year olds to get Their Feet wet & used to Playing in th Ocean !). It's on th Other side of th "Sand Bar" - Thats what th locals call th Outer Banks ( I know this as I have My oldest Brother lives down there) So I went to go see Family & Chill .... Sorry , in My excitement to leave @ 4am on Friday mornin' I left t Camera in th Panzer Shoppe ... NO pix from th beach ! :mad:

But, I can say that I've fixed up th other Power Transformers in a Rack behind th R.O.'s seat. It's tight quarters as th Bulkhead & Turret floor come very tight to them. Those Guys weren't kiddin' when they said there as no room in those Panzers ! I'll hopefully have some New Pix tomorrow & Then th Loer area will be ready for Primer & Paint !! Then it's on to th Turret !!

So, CHEERS ! It's all Good & I'll "Get on th Build", shoot some Pix & Let you guys see. Oh !! This will also be part of a Diorama !! .... But More on that later .... I just picked up th Wittmann figure from Alpine Miniatures to go with this Dio !!!
Here's th Run down over on Modelers Alliance
- http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/monroe-perdu-reloaded-well-done/60989-wittmans-last-drink-aug-8th-44

Hey Eric!! Enjoying the summer with the Fam....it's what it's all about!!!

Great subject and even better history!!! The debate will always be! We may never know but it's fun to speculate!!!

Looking forward to watching you progress on this one.....carry on Sir!!! ;)

Kill Devil Hills, I hear ya! I love the Outer Banks!!! Ocracoke Island is my sanctuary. I like it best in October when there is no crowd. Hope you had a great time.

If any of you are from the uk on discovery history. Tonight at 8 battlefield mysteries is on the very doc about as hauptstrumfurher Michael wittmann

Geegad

ill prob forget to watch it, ;D

just looked at your build over there and a lot of others i got side tracted for an hour ;D

CTspeedshop said:
Kill Devil Hills, I hear ya! I love the Outer Banks!!! Ocracoke Island is my sanctuary. I like it best in October when there is no crowd. Hope you had a great time.

Yes SIR !! Th Outer Banks is where it's at !! I love going down there "After Season" It's great ! I can't get enough of it ! Th Only Bummer - There's no Hobby Shops ! .... I tell ya what .. If I had some X-tra $$ I'd seriously consider opening a Hobby Store on th Sand Bar !!!

Now come on Erik !!!!....What are ya playin at ,lying around a beach all weekend when there's a Tiger to be built !!!!... ;D ;D...only joking fella ,hope ya had a good w/end ...now back to the bench ..((lol))

Chris.

Chris S said:
Now come on Erik !!!!....What are ya playin at ,lying around a beach all weekend when there's a Tiger to be built !!!!... ;D ;D...only joking fella ,hope ya had a good w/end ...now back to the bench ..((lol))

Chris.

AH !! YES SIR ... I guess this Tiger isn't gonna build itself !! ......

hello been from the damp island across the pond

could one of you please tell me where the out banks are and what they are many thanks

geegad

Latest posts

Back