Leopard 2A6(M) Barracuda kit....replicating my ride from tour.

Check The Barrel Store in their diorama and accessories section, they seem to have lots of little detail bits like what you're looking for. I'm buying a bunch of schwag for my build from there right now.

Really enjoying getting the crews insight during this build !

keep up the great work

shane

Well, time for an update. Been really busy with things at work and life in general and haven't been able to put any time into the build until this week.

I was going to enter it in the SMA Spring contest but it was already started. Oh well, lesson learned. ;D

Here we go.

First time ever working with resin and I've learned some lessons from members here, so the build is going fairly good so far. Taking one's time is key. Also, washing parts with a good degreaser is needed in order to prep things for assembly and for paint later on. The good thing is the resin conversion kit is pretty much free of mold releasing agent already. Still scrubbed the parts though.

Lower tub assembled and resin rear deck on
IMG_0507.jpg

A few gaps to sort out with some Mr Surfacer.
IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Belly plate installed. Still have to add some detail welds on the forward edge like the real tank later on.
IMG_0508.jpg

Cutting out the castings on the rear of the upper hull. Took a while with a saw and knives.
IMG_0509.jpg

Upper hull and lower hull dry fit. Nice and level with only a few minor clearance issues.
IMG_0513.jpg

Rear view of the tank. Looks like it's leaning right? Done on purpose for the base. Thinking of replicating a grape or pot field for it to sit on.
IMG_0514.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I've done some more on the turret today but haven't had enough time to get them uploaded.

TANKS for looking!

Nice progress! Wicked upgrade set you gotten yourself!

Well deserved! Will be looking at this for sure!

Good luck with it!

Norm.

Well, did some more work tonight.

Main gun and coax mantlet assembly.

I'll be getting rid of the three bands off the fume extractor. I wasn't in 3 Troop.
IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Turret and rear bustle fitted and glued together
IMG_0517.jpg

Mantlet Barracuda cover thinned out. It was 3mm thick...now down to 0.5mm. Lots of cutting and sanding.
IMG_0518.jpg

Left and right "elephant ears" fitted and secured. Resin castings on the turret required lots of adjustments and a couple beers.

IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg

So much resin that is going to be covered up by the lower portion of the turret.
IMG_0521.jpg

TANKS for looking!

Don't worry about the 3 bands on the Fume extractor! If you don't paint them different most of us will think
They are some cover "tie downs" anyway! Like the remainders along the gun barrel! My 2cents.

Looks great! BTW

schweinhund227 said:
Don't worry about the 3 bands on the Fume extractor! If you don't paint them different most of us will think
They are some cover "tie downs" anyway! Like the remainders along the gun barrel! My 2cents.

Looks great! BTW

True enough, but again...I'm replicating my panzer from tour. ;)

Thank again for the comments guys!

Regards

Beobachtungsbereich said:
NecronautDrummer said:
Nice seeing this one resurrected, b!

Danke! I was starting to get the itch again seeing everyone kicking butt on their own projects.

Well ! You were busy with work ! and you had started that BIG 1/16 Leo2 as well... YOU were busy with other things as well.... Don't worry!!! we are watching your every move !!! LOL

That kind of dedication is commendable !!! Keep up the good work !!!

Looking forward to your next update !!! but don't rush on our Account !!!
I didn't want to fluster you about those BANDS....!!! Do what it takes to make this UNIQUE !!!
We'll be there for the ride !

Norm.

Superb looking Big Cat, Beo. Sure putting all the bells and wistles on this build.
Keep it up. Bill

Any new progress on your build? I just put primer on my Leopard 2A6 yesterday. Progress for me has been slow as well.

Tanker52 said:
Any new progress on your build? I just put primer on my Leopard 2A6 yesterday. Progress for me has been slow as well.

Unfortunately, no. I've been busy with my contest build and this one had to go on the back-burner yet again.

I'll be back on it again soon enough!

Regards

This is going to be awesome! Nice work so far. Great pics of your experiences. Thanks for sharing:)

Started on it again, now that I'm on leave.

Just building the MBGDs that came with the resin kit. Pesky little buggers and the PE chains are a joy. LOL

More pics to follow later.

Awesome project! I'm really looking forward to how this progresses.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks VoID!!

Well, more resin work being done and PE being mounted as well.

Starting to get back into the groove and having some fun!

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to paint this sucker, either do the NATO tri colour first and mask it off or paint the Barracuda kit first and mask the NATO paint scheme.

Still have loads to do on the slat armour as well. Man, this is going to be one long build!

Here are the little bits so far
IMG_0337.jpg

Right turret bustle
IMG_0338.jpg

I decided not to take a short cut and use the molded struts that were in the resin. I carved them out and sanded them down so they will go on like the actual covers did. I'll paint the NATO scheme first and do the 'cuda kit separate and then join them up before mounting them to the turret. Still have some sanding to do to make an accurate fit.
IMG_0339.jpg

Left bank MBGDs
IMG_0340.jpg

Gun mantlet now with the 'cuda kit on.
IMG_0341.jpg

Back deck. Lots of PE for the pioneer kit and for the handles and tow cable mounts. It's missing a box (right where the triangle is). The box houses the fuel hopper. Checked the base kit and the resin upgrade kit and it's not there. Guess I'll be making it out of styrene.
IMG_0342-1.jpg

TANKS for looking!

Latest posts

Back