What other crafting skills or hobbies do you have?

ScarredKustoms

Whatcha building!?
I guess Chit chat is the right place to ask this question.

This is your chance to brag yourself up :p

What other art, crafting, fabricating, cooking, hobbies, ..... whatever do you have?
Curious to see what skills everyone has and maybe how those skills are used in building models or vice verse.

Below is link to my online portfolio of some of the things I have designed, built, painted, fabricated ... etc

And as far as how it relates to building models ... It's all relative ;D

One thing that isn't in the portfolio is that I love to BBQ with wood. Have a decent size wood smoker. Makes dollar store hot dogs taste like a million bucks .... lol

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i431/RogerFowler72/

Pretty cool stuff Roger. That zombie mask is neat.

I dont craft anything else, but I do play bass. Currently in a cover band with some old buddies, just playing for fun. I have a Schecter Diamond Series 5 string.

14463_191285524601_632169601_3935866_1876367_n.jpg

I play guitar. I have a Fender Fat Strat, and Ibanez hollow body, Fender acoustic, and no time to play them all since my recent all encompassing fascination with building models. My wife doesn't mind my new, quieter hobby. I cut a blues demo a few years back with Jimmy Miller (Stones producer...also "Mr. Jimmy" from 'You Can' Always Get What You Want') at the board...thats about as famous as I got.

I also learned how to record on the computer and played all the instruments but drums on a more recent demo. Here's a link to a Myspace page I set up a while back with a couple songs. http://www.myspace.com/tbgspace. I worked with a local singer on about 10 songs. We called ourselves TBG (two bald guys), and I lost interest when he wanted to take the show on the road and become a rock star. I'm almost 40...not gonna happen! Plus he sounded too much like the singer from Bloatie and the Whofish (my name for Hootie and the Blowfish). I just play for fun now. I actually play some mean Rock Band drums, so the wife and I rock out in the living room occasionally.

I'm also severely addicted to Fringe, Breaking Bad, and Boston Bruins hockey.

I play guitar, and fiddle around with drums. I do all the cooking in my house but I enjoy it. It can be very creative. In the past I have helped my mom with quilting but I wont ever do that for a hobby. Also just got done helping my dad build up a new deck for their house

I enjoy woodworking, building primitive craft type stuff. I also play piano since age 5 - playing full time in bands from 17 to 28. I play a bit of guitar, drums, bass, piano accordion, harmonica. I have a home recoding studio setup in the loft and write a bit and record a bit.

I like reading wookiepedia for some reason, all part of the sci fi modeling bug.

Graphic design, web design - which is my living - is also a hobby too. Take this site for example, no one paid me to make it but it was done for fun.

I'd love to paint but never really got into it. I took drawing courses as a kid and then again as an adult but that all goes into the modeling hobby for me.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,792.msg5815.html#msg5815

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,811.msg6055.html#msg6055

These are links to some early threads: Images posted in there.

Other interest include. Painting, trains, large scale model railroads, table top and roleplaying gaming, painting (canvas), jeeps, drawing, architecture ( where my education is) hazmat response (5 county team), canoeing, whitewater raft guiding, rock climbing, jeeps, old trucks, milsim paintball, airsoft, reading, old construction and mining equipment, old 4wd other than jeeps and military history, oh and did I mention jeeps?

As for skills, I know my way around a tool room fairly well, although I have NOT yet gotten the knack for welding, only seem to burn my self and ruin vise grips so far. I can draft on a board and to a extent on autocad (through release 10 thru 2005) I had education in architecture design and graphics (presentation drawings) (not that I can make a living with it) I have worked in printing in the camera room, two and 4 color layout, bindery and mail room, can run just about anything that could be called a forklift, I am a Teamster (local 776) With a CDL with airbrakes, doubles,triples hazmat, tanker endowments, I am a proboard certified Hazmat tech, wilderness emergency responder, swift water tech 2, Red cross emergency responder, I have guided both whitewater and jeep trips for 20 years now.

Scott Girvan said:
I also play piano since age 5 - playing full time in bands from 17 to 28. I play a bit of guitar, drums, bass, piano accordion, harmonica. I have a home recoding studio setup in the loft and write a bit and record a bit.

Hey Scott, didnt know you were a musician as well, we'll have to get together for a jam some time. Have you had bands come in to do demos in your studio?

Sketching.
3d model work.
Writing fiction

Those are the bigger ones.
Wishing I had guitar listed, but can't play

Well for me my hobbies are varied. I love to build things. It doesn't have to be models, it can be legos, woodworking, (I have made some of my furniture, as well as a spray booth.) I use to be a motor head, and in college I had a VW Bug that would beat a mustang (Stock mustang, not hyped up.) in a race. That was wickedly fun to drive. (You would think that the other people would catch a clue at the four large exhaust pipes coming out from under the rear of the car. And the fact that it didn't sound like a bug.......) I also had a 72 Chevy Nova, a 1978 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce, to name a few. I have rebuilt more than one engine in my day....

I am also a teacher. I figured this out in college and upon graduation, thought long and hard about it. Started my own private school, and here I am today. Teaching is in part of why I make YouTube videos.

I don't think I have too many mad modeling skills, but I am not afraid to sharing my own version of crazy with the world.......

I was also into computers at one time and owned a small computer store. (Don't ask for computer advice, I am way too far out of the loop these days.....)

ScarredKustoms said:
I'm jealous of you guys playing guitar I have zero musical talent

I'd like to second that, and to boot I can't dance (been told so by a paid dance instructor)... ::)

I used to road race bicycles, then I had kids - I hope to get back to it some day.

On the creative side I draw/sketch a little (helped out on the job when I worked as a tooling designer). Now'a'days, I make wood furniture for family members (made my kid a loft bed, bookshelf and desk unit during last summer holidays).

JMac

Carsenault said:
Hey Scott, didnt know you were a musician as well, we'll have to get together for a jam some time. Have you had bands come in to do demos in your studio?

No haven't recorded anyone other than me and not too much of that yet either.

Flight simulators
ever since i was a little boy i have been playing them, one of the first was red barron 3D
HELLO.jpg

missingawing.jpg

Drawings
i have been drawing a long time, mostly, airplanes, Cars, Trains, Ships, Guns and rifles, Animals, and people on occasion
dogfightdrawing2.jpg

spadescobrafinnished.jpg

Digital art
over 75 of these where made for people in a chat forum by request, but as the chat forum went on it started to go rotten, the website became to tight with there rules, people started to leave, and as a result new people came in who didn't care, and as a result i discontinued "Production" at around 75

theaceofspades-5.jpg

flyingspice.jpg

50thmustang.jpg

blackmagician.jpg

thepatriout.jpg

youtube.jpg

oldcrow-1.jpg

75thmustang.jpg

this was the last one made
purpleheart.jpg

I love anything in miniature. I do RC boats and helicopters, N scale railroading, HO slot cars and Static scale models. Also I play guitar (full size). ;D

SCOTT GIRVAN: Did you supply the theme music for your youtube show?? If not who is it? Thanks.

Static.

Hi,
No I didn't. It's a CD I bought from Royalty Free Music DOT COM. Cost about $100 IIRC.

Er, not sure I have any really that directly relate to modelling, except that it's all about putting stuff together. I can't do much at all at the moment but when I was fit and healthy I used my trade skills in my spare time to make medieval leather shoes and boots, water bottles, barrels and jugs and the like. I also made tents and clothing. All sorts really.

Here's an example of a tent, one that I made for our own use; about 20' diameter:
P5250041.jpg

Apart from all that, I also do/did rc vehicles. boats and aircraft, archery, yacht and dinghy racing, snorkelling, skiing, climbing, er.....yeah, all sorts. Too many things to do, not enough time!

Hah! As it so happens I did go to a couple of races at a place there but was only watching on those occasions...and that was a fair while ago too! I wasn't all that good so was more often a spectator than anything.

Latest posts

Back