U.S.S. Thunderchild

With boiling water, first I would have to have gotten the part hot by letting it soak in the water, then I would have to have moved the part and held it in place while it cooled off. After that, then glue it down. The problem is this part was flat, and I needed it curved. Had I been going the other way around, boiling water might have been easier.

With the heat gun, I could first glue down the part and then heat it. I would have NEVER tried this if both parts were small. The saucer section is much larger than the bridge, and would have taken quite a bit more time to heat up.

I think the heat gun is fine as long as you are careful, and use the LOW setting. I didn't do this, so there was a bit of smoke. But, it is a great way to add an yellow tint to your resin....... ::)

Well here is my latest installment. No smoke this time, sorry to disappoint........ :-[

But I do sit her down next to an old model of mine, the Enterprise D, just for a size comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6bF0JVipik

I haven't done much work on her since Sunday, I have been uploading a lot of videos about computers and that has taken up most of my time. The last computer video is being processed right now, so I can get back to work on the model this weekend.

Looks cool and nice work so far,you might not be that fussed on the colour of your enterprise but your lighting for it ROCKS!!

The 1/1000 Round 2 kit was announced awhile ago......it was supposed to be out this Xmas, however they got the rights to the new movie, and the new Enterprise is taking it's place.

Last I talked to them it is slated for sometime in 2011. Apparently the molds for it were half finished when Polar Lights was sold to AMT, and AMT didn't do anything with it. Once Round 2 got a hold of it (which one of the owners coincidentally was the owner of Polar Lights that sold to AMT in the first place), the molds had been kept in such dis-repair that it was pretty much not worth trying to salvage them and to start fresh, which they planned to do. However getting the rights to the new Star Trek Movie has moved the plans for the Akira back somewhat.

Elm City: Thank you for the information!! I spent some time on the net trying to find out what happened, and couldn't find a thing. This is one mystery solved. I will be looking for that kit in the future.

I haven't had much free time to work on the Thunderchild. I did give her a base coat, and found a few little spots to fill. Starting on Thursday I have a three week vacation, should finish this one up and get back to the old NX.

Well we have a new update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtvtgsuEcE

Not much in the way of excitement, but I discuss a few errors I found with the model, and detail the work I have done so far. (filling voids and sanding.)

I did have a small problem with the airbrush. It started to sputter, and dumped a few globs of paint on one spot. It is fixed now and I am almost ready for the first color coat.

I put another base coat on her tonight and found two more spots. Sooner or later I will just start painting her up and ignore those spots.

This is looking great. Your video updates are a great way to show you progress and process. Awesome.

DBHS: Thank you for the comment!

Quaralane: I have done this with tape before. I know that in a few places there will be overspray, but with a steady hand, it can get fixed. I get to pull the tape off tomorrow and see what happened.

Of course, I really shouldn't talk after the masking I did on my Vipers, and on "Baby"

Well, I have pulled the masking off, and here is the next installment:

USS Thunderchild part 8

I started the detail painting, and used a micro pen to fill in the windows.

If I am careful, I can finish this by next week.

Latest posts

Back