Round 2 Models 1/537 Scale U.S.S. Reliant build with custom lighting

This looks simply PERFECT!
Outstanding work here, and I'm liking the base a lot. (All that LED tape looks extremely promising on it, can't wait to see the resulting pics :))

Stunning build. I still haven't got round to building a 'saucer' Starfleet ship yet (I've built a defiant class). It's gonna be a huge help having your vids to guide me when I eventually get round to this one.

TW those are great pics of her lit up. I could gawk at an entire thread of pics of this ship.

LIghts on, in the dark, she's magnificent !

Beautiful render and thumbs up, again, for this build.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

I have been getting some requests for more info on the lighting of the model and rather than reply to individuals I figured I would just put it down here so anyone can check it out when they want to.

The Lighting Kit I used is made by Evans Lighting and it is a kit I bought over at Cult TV man's site.
The kit is listed as the Reliant Lighting Kit and runs about 90 bucks. What do you get with the kit?
You get a circuit board and several pre wired LEDs with resistors installed in different sizes and colors.
The kit also includes a piece of hollow aluminum tube so you can use the stock AMT display stand and run wires through it. Also two pieces of clear acrylic rod are included to light the flux chiller grill's on the warp engines.
The idea being you use 2 included blue LED's on each side at the ends of the acrylic rod pointing toward each other.
The rod lights up and when mounted behind the grill lights it as well. I did not use that method to light this one but instead used some blue LED tape.

The circuit board has 2 channels on it. One side connects to all the strobe type lights of the model, the other channel connects to the navigation lights of the model. Since they blink at different rates they are separate.
A really cool thing about the Tenacontrols board in this kit is that it is fully adjustable. Each channel has an adjustable pot which either speeds up or slows down the blink rate so you can fine tune it to your exact desire.
Pretty sweet and very easy to use. That is all the board does is to control the blinking lights.
A full wiring schematic is included with the kit that shows the strobe and nav light circuits.

The main hull window ports are lit by installing the included white LED's in various spots and wiring those directly to the power supply with a switch if you want to use one. Again I didn't use the included LED's but instead used warm white colored LED tape for the window lighting and wired up a separate circuit for that.

Evans does offer a deluxe kit which includes the photon launcher light effects for about $80 more. I opted to just
wire a separate circuit to be able to turn the lights of the launcher either on or off.

The effect lighting on the nacelles that light the registry numbers I just added my self with a couple white LED's connected to the hull lighting circuit. The Evans kit is designed to run at 9 volts DC so if you decide to anything with it on the same power supply, remember to use resistors and LED's set up for 9 volts. The LED tape has its own on board resistors and will connect right up and work from 6 volts to 12 volts.
I set up the wiring of the warp engines, the photon launcher and the hull lights to connect to the switch panel you see in the pictures on the base myself. The Evans kit doesn't do that part.

Hope that helps out to answer most of the questions on it.

Happy modeling everyone.

Latest posts

Back