AMT U.S.S. Enterprise Set

Looks great! I dont' know much about washes, but I don't imagine it would be easy on such a small model and with the raised panel lines.

I agree with Igard, I wouldn't use a wash on something with raised panel lines.

But this is how you learn, buy experimenting. You also learn how to recover from mistakes this way. you will get it right and it will look good in the end.

When I built mine I actually sanded off all the raised panel lines.
They just looked too out-of-scale for my taste.
I used Absolute Models decals which already had panel lines.

Here's a pic:
1701-AStarboardQtrDorsal.jpg

trekriffic said:
When I built mine I actually sanded off all the raised panel lines.
They just looked too out-of-scale for my taste.
I used Absolute Models decals which already had panel lines.
Cool model, it turned out really nice.

I've finally finished ship 2 of 3 from the kit. Here are a few pictures, the first two are some glamour shots I had some fun with ;D.

refit_glamour_shot_a_by_uncle_bang-d5sb5w1.jpg
refit_glamour_shot_b_by_uncle_bang-d5sb6lw.jpg
refit_complete_a_by_uncle_bang-d5sb6q4.jpg
refit_complete_b_by_uncle_bang-d5sb6tz.jpg

The decals were a beast on this one, but totally worth it in the end. There are a total of 55 decals on this tiny, 4.75" model (some of the bigger ones, like the saucer parts, I broke down into more manageable sizes). I made a few goofs here and there, but they're pretty hard to spot at a glance. However I will still point them out to you. My biggest goof was putting the window decals on the port side of the saucer upside-down, which is why I only have photos of the starboard side . The only other mistakes are a couple tears in a few of the smaller decals and a few decals not placed 100% correctly, but there's so much aztecing in the decals that it's really hard to spot.

The decal diagram was really well done, but there were a couple errors that could have ended badly if I wasn't paying attention. The biggest would be the reversed numbering on decals A41 and A42. A41 was said to go on the port nacelle and A42 on the starboard nacelle, however that would have caused the little "NCC-1701" text to be upside-down and the decal not splitting where it's supposed to at the fin. The other mistake was a duplicate number, A45, it was used for two very different shapes and placements. Other than that the decalling process went smoothly. I used the Microscale combo to assist in the decal application: Micro Set and Micro Sol. I also used some Liquid Decal Film to help make the larger, more delicate decals more resilient to my poking and prodding as I positioned them on the model.

Next up, the Enterprise B. I have it painted now I just need to prep it for decal application.

Thanks for looking :).

~Uncle-Bang

Latest posts

Back