AMT U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C

Uncle_Bang

a.k.a. Brandon Hodge
Here is where I will be posting part 2 of my 1/2500 Enterprise builds.

This one will the the AMT Enterprise-C kit. I've already done a little bit of work on it behind the scenes, however I did remember to log the steps I did do. So first off here's an image of the box and a link to the instruction sheet if you are interested.

product.jpg

The round 2 website mentions an error on the decals with this kit, but they don't actually say what was wrong. I looked at mine and couldn't see anything, maybe you guys can spot something:
61_enterprisencc1701c_decal1_by_uncle_bang-d5j4gg9.jpg
61_enterprisencc1701c_decal2_by_uncle_bang-d5j4ggk.jpg

If you guys do spot something I'll send out another post card to them to get a replacement, if not I'll just work with what was provided (I tried sending a post card to them a while back, but I think I put on the wrong amount of postage and it never made it :().

So what I've done on this so far is washed all the parts, assembled the major sub-assemblies, and did an initial sanding. Next I will use some Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty to fill in some minor seam areas and do a finer sanding before I give it the first hit of primer. For that big giant hole in the bottom of the secondary hull I might try some epoxy putty to fill it in. The only snag there is that I've never used epoxy putty before so I have no idea what brand I should use for this. Here are a few photos of the ship thus far (the saucer is just dry fitted to the secondary hull):

amt661_enterprisencc1701c_1_by_uncle_bang-d5j4ggi.jpg
All clean yay!

amt661_enterprisencc1701c_2_by_uncle_bang-d5j4ggf.jpg

amt661_enterprisencc1701c_3_by_uncle_bang-d5j4ggd.jpg
Side

amt661_enterprisencc1701c_4_by_uncle_bang-d5j4ggc.jpg
Bottom

This model has some great detail, and the ship is a really nice size. It's just too bad that practically all of the molded detail on the saucer portion is raised instead of recessed like on the secondary hull. Even so, I'm still really tempted to apply a dark blue wash or something during the painting process to really bring out the detail modeled into the plastic.

Thanks for reading!

~Uncle Bang

I'm a big fan of the Ambassador class. Hard to put my finger on why I like it. I think it's because it looks like a classic design, but has that TNG style too. Just a nice looking ship.

For putty, most people prefer an Apoxie putty called Aves Apoxie Sculpt. It's great for sculpting and shaping, doing scratch building. However for filling large holes and gaps, you could use a number of different products, like Milliput. It's just a simple case of mixing the 2 amounts by rolling them around in your hands for a few minutes, then placing it in the hole. Wait a few hours for it to cure (overnight is usually advisable), then sand it flat and smooth.

Looks like your set of decals is one that is "post flaw".
The problem was in the "USS ENTERPRISE" decal. The first runs forgot the "T"

Your model, BTW, is looking pretty nice at this stage of things

This is my favorite of the enterprises. So I will be watching.....

I have this kit and I am saving it for a rainy day project. I don't like the raised panel lines on it either, but I think it was designed for the inexperienced to build. So they didn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back